Electrical Engineering help me

In summary: These are the chips that will allow you to amplify small signals to high levels. You can also try using transistors as switches, but you will need to use more of them to get the same result. Ultimately, you will need to design the circuit and determine what parts will work best for your application.In summary, Cliff suggests looking for transimpedence amplifiers or O/E chips to amplify small signals to high levels and using transistors as switches.
anubhab123us
For a robotics project i have to make an electrical circuit in which 5 light sensors need to light 5 corresponding LEDs.The LED must only turn on when the light sensors detect the infrared light from a laser pointer and afterwards must stay on permanently(assuming the battery is still running).We have a 9V battery that supplies power.We can use anything to make the circuit as long as its rather compact.We can use standard electrical parts like resistors transistors diodes etc.

Can someone please tell me of a way to do this or perhaps design a circuit to do this and tell me about it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, here's an idea and you can use google to find the answers.

Step 1: Get light converted to electricity. Your light sensor is a photodiode or photovoltaic or something like it - it can be used to detect light and create a corresponding voltage output.

Step 2: Once that voltage level (light level) crosses a threshold, you want it to activate the circuit. A voltage divider with potentiometers gives you the ability to adjust the levels respectively to adjust where this voltage level is based on light levels (room lights and laser pointer light levels).

A 555 timer chip has inputs that can respond to voltage levels. If you take the 555 wired as a monostable it will produce a single pulse once a certain voltage crosses a threshold on one of its inputs.Then the output of the monostable 555 can be used to turn on a transistor.

Step 3: Use the output to create a latching circuit. When this transistor turns on, you wire another transitor to turn on as well and they keep each other on and the LED as well.

Many many other solutions exist. But this one has some handy parts in it that can be used elsewhere to boot. And a 556 chip has two 555s on one chip so its easier and cheaper too, FYI.

Cliff

anubhab123us,

I hope you will take Cliffs suggestion and look into what he's given you. If you understand these steps and the devices to accomplish them, you might find designing circuits can be lots of fun.

Regards

Here read these:
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/voltage.htm
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/ldr_sensors.htm

If you make it halfway down this page (the rest you don't need), he gives a circuit that will satisfy your needs in a different way. You get to use digital logic with the NAND gates, so its just merely another way to do it.
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/biscuit.htm

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator:
I would search the major semiconductor manufacturers (Lucent, Motorola, Dallas, National, Linear, TI, and there are others that I can't think of right now) for transimpedence amplifiers (TIAs) or O/E chips.

What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a field of study that involves the design, development, and application of electrical systems, devices, and technologies. It encompasses a wide range of topics including circuit theory, electronics, power systems, communication systems, and more.

What skills are needed for Electrical Engineering?

To be successful in Electrical Engineering, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as most projects in this field involve collaboration with others.

What career opportunities are available in Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as telecommunications, power generation, electronics, and manufacturing. Some common job titles in this field include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, power systems engineer, and control systems engineer.

What are the main areas of specialization in Electrical Engineering?

There are several areas of specialization in Electrical Engineering, including power systems, electronics, telecommunications, control systems, and computer engineering. Within each of these areas, there are further sub-specializations, providing a diverse range of career paths for Electrical Engineers.

How can I get help with Electrical Engineering?

There are several ways to get help with Electrical Engineering. You can reach out to your professors or classmates for assistance, join study groups, or seek help from tutors. There are also many online resources, such as forums, tutorials, and videos, that can provide additional support and guidance.