Excel/MINITAB graphing - scaling the x axis

In summary, the individual is trying to create a bar graph from irregularly spaced data over 100m. They want to scale the x-axis instead of showing each data point individually. They have tried to do this on Excel 2007 but also have access to Minitab. One solution suggested is to change to a histogram and adjust the values accordingly, which would provide a scaled axis. However, the individual has decided to make a scatterplot and manually add bars on top since they were unable to make it work.
sunfleck
I'm trying to make a bar graph from data which were taken at irregular intervals over 100m. I want the x-axis to be scaled instead of showing each data point one after another. (i.e. I'm coming out with 1-4-5 when I want 1-----4-5). I hope this makes sense - I'm not sure of the proper terminology :/
I've been trying to do this on excel 2007, but I also have access to minitab (newer version - don't know which one exactly since I'm not at school).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could change it to a histogram and adjust your values accordingly. It should have a scaled axis in that case.

Thanks for replying :) I tried a histogram but then it just gave me counts... but since we can draw things by hand I've decided to make a scatterplot and just draw bars overtop since I can't seem to get the whole thing to work out

Related to Excel/MINITAB graphing - scaling the x axis

1. How do I change the scale of the x-axis in Excel/MINITAB graphs?

To change the scale of the x-axis in Excel, right-click on the x-axis and select "Format Axis." Then, under the "Scale" tab, you can adjust the minimum and maximum values for the x-axis. In MINITAB, you can click on the x-axis and select "Scale" from the "Format" menu to adjust the scale.

2. Can I change the scale of the x-axis to a logarithmic scale?

Yes, both Excel and MINITAB allow you to change the scale of the x-axis to a logarithmic scale. In Excel, you can select "Logarithmic scale" under the "Scale" tab in the "Format Axis" menu. In MINITAB, you can select "Logarithmic" under the "Scale" option in the "Format" menu.

3. How do I add gridlines to the x-axis in Excel/MINITAB graphs?

To add gridlines to the x-axis in Excel, right-click on the x-axis and select "Format Axis." Then, under the "Gridlines" tab, select "Major gridlines." In MINITAB, you can click on the x-axis and select "Gridlines" from the "Format" menu to add gridlines.

4. Is it possible to change the interval of the tick marks on the x-axis?

Yes, you can change the interval of the tick marks on the x-axis in Excel and MINITAB. In Excel, under the "Scale" tab in the "Format Axis" menu, you can adjust the "Major unit" to change the interval. In MINITAB, you can click on the x-axis and select "Tick Marks" from the "Format" menu to change the interval.

5. Can I add a secondary x-axis to my graph in Excel/MINITAB?

Yes, both Excel and MINITAB allow you to add a secondary x-axis to your graph. In Excel, you can select "Secondary Axis" under the "Series Options" tab in the "Format Axis" menu. In MINITAB, you can click on the x-axis and select "Scale" from the "Format" menu, then check the box for "Show secondary axis."