Excel 2011 for Mac Mixed Reference Macros Issues

In summary, the steps in the video work on any Excel except for the one on my Mac. Shall I do something differently to make sure it works on my one too?
IrinaK.

Homework Statement

Hello!

I would be grateful for your help. I've tried many many times to record a mixed reference macro on my mac, and it doesn't record a thing.
No problems with recording separate macros with relative or absolute reference.

Problems description:

I have few sheets with tables of the same format, but the amount of data in colums is different, thus I need a macro that would have both relative and absolute references.

Homework Equations

I do every step exactly as they have to be done, following this instruction from 10:44 to 21:48

Let me repeat: when I separately record macros with relative or absolute references, these guys work.

The Attempt at a Solution

After following all steps, I check what is being recorded (the code) and it shows this (relative nothing, no steps, no records):

Sub Macro25()
'
' Macro25 Macro
' newmacro
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Option+Cmd+q
'
End Sub

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can record both versions and combine their codes properly or even write the macro from scratch if changing during recording does not work.

mfb said:
You can record both versions and combine their codes properly or even write the macro from scratch if changing during recording does not work.
I am not sure I am that technically informed. I presume I did write the macro from scratch, just as it is shown in the video attached. The result, well no result actually. I've tried it many many times by creating different tables.

No, I mean write as in actually write, like you write text here.

mfb said:
No, I mean write as in actually write, like you write text here.
thank you, but I am sorry, I do not understand you. did you have a chance to check the part of video I am talking about?

Yes.
You can record macros, but that just allows very basic things. If you want to do more complex things, you'll have to write the macro yourself (or at least modify existing recorded code). There are tons of tutorials how to write macros.

mfb said:
Yes.
You can record macros, but that just allows very basic things. If you want to do more complex things, you'll have to write the macro yourself (or at least modify existing recorded code). There are tons of tutorials how to write macros.

you see, this video shows truly basic macro, and these steps work in any Excel except for my one on Mac. Shall I do something differently to make sure it works on my one too? I am not talking about profound issues; I just need to record the same thing shown in the video.

Related to Excel 2011 for Mac Mixed Reference Macros Issues

1. What is a mixed reference in Excel macros for Mac?

A mixed reference in Excel macros for Mac is a cell reference that contains both relative and absolute elements. This means that when the formula or macro is copied to other cells, certain elements of the reference will change while others will remain constant. This allows for more flexibility and efficiency in creating formulas and macros.

2. How can I create a mixed reference in Excel 2011 for Mac?

To create a mixed reference in Excel 2011 for Mac, simply use the "$" symbol to indicate which part of the reference should remain constant. For example, if you want the row number to stay the same but the column to change, you would use "$A1" as the reference.

3. What are some common issues with mixed references in Excel macros for Mac?

Some common issues with mixed references in Excel macros for Mac include incorrect use of the "$" symbol, which can lead to incorrect calculations or errors, and unintentional changes to the reference when copying or moving cells. It is important to double check your references and use the correct symbols to avoid these issues.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with mixed references in Excel 2011 for Mac?

To troubleshoot issues with mixed references in Excel 2011 for Mac, you can use the "Formula Auditing" tools to trace and evaluate your formulas. This can help identify any errors or issues with your mixed references. Additionally, checking the cell references and making sure they are correctly formatted can also help resolve issues.

5. Can I use mixed references in Excel macros for Mac with external data sources?

Yes, you can use mixed references in Excel macros for Mac with external data sources, such as tables or databases. However, it is important to ensure that the references are correctly formatted and any external data is properly linked to your spreadsheet. Using absolute references in these situations may be more reliable to avoid any potential issues.