Examples of atoms that have more than 8 electrons in shell

In summary, the octet rule states that atoms tend to bond in such a way that they have 8 electrons in their valence shell. However, in higher shells, there can be more than 8 electrons present. This is known as hypervalence and is important in understanding how atoms mix with each other to form molecules. Videos and resources on this topic are welcome.
MatsNorway
Hi

So we are about to learn about the octet rule. However once you get to higher shells you can have more than eight in the "shells" or orbit? But i have not been able to find a good example of how that works or happens. Does it have a specific name? I assume we are talking about say several fluorines conntected to a bigger atom. Sharing the electrons in some way.

Links on videos that explains it is very welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
MatsNorway said:
Hi

So we are about to learn about the octet rule. However once you get to higher shells you can have more than eight in the "shells" or orbit? But i have not been able to find a good example of how that works or happens. Does it have a specific name? I assume we are talking about say several fluorines conntected to a bigger atom. Sharing the electrons in some way.

Links on videos that explains it is very welcome.

I don't understand this question.

First of all, what exactly do you mean by a "shell"? I ask this because I don't know why you can't just look up the periodic table and figure out the atoms that have more than 8 electrons in an orbital.

The s, p, d, f, etc... can have 2, 6, 10, 14, etc.. electrons, respectively. So already we know that an orbital CAN have more than 8 electrons. So why not look at atoms with a full d-orbital, for example? Shouldn't this be an atom that has more than 8 electrons in a "shell"?

{scratching head}

Zz.

MatsNorway said:
Does it have a specific name?
Hypervalence?

Correct. Found it after much googling. I first thought it was super octet but that seems to be the opposite.

What i have found so far.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervalent_molecule
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...electrons-if-not-why-is-8-the-limit/5242#5242

In my course we do not go this far, what i was curious about is how you figure out how many of a atom can mix with another. And it led me down this rabbit hole, I started of just counting the electrons thinking they need to match up to become a molecule where one or both have 8 valence electrons. Before today i did not know what valence electrons was. Now i have some super basic idea.

If anyone have a super basic intro video to that kind of "math" or how to do video that would be appreciated ofc. Hell.. anything you think is quality on the topic is welcome. I devour good documentaries.

Related to Examples of atoms that have more than 8 electrons in shell

What are atoms with more than 8 electrons in their outer shell called?

These atoms are called "excited" or "unstable" atoms.

Can you give some examples of atoms with more than 8 electrons in their outer shell?

Some examples include sulfur (16 electrons in its outer shell), phosphorus (15 electrons), chlorine (17 electrons), and argon (18 electrons).

How do atoms with more than 8 electrons in their outer shell form?

Atoms can form by gaining or losing electrons through chemical reactions. In some cases, atoms can also become excited and have more than 8 electrons in their outer shell due to external factors such as high temperatures or intense radiation.

Why are atoms with more than 8 electrons in their outer shell unstable?

Atoms with more than 8 electrons in their outer shell are unstable because they do not follow the octet rule, which states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to have a full outer shell with 8 electrons. These atoms have a higher potential energy and are more reactive due to their unstable electron configuration.

What are the potential consequences of atoms with more than 8 electrons in their outer shell?

Atoms with more than 8 electrons in their outer shell can have a variety of consequences, depending on the specific atom and its environment. For example, some atoms may release excess energy through chemical reactions or radiation, while others may form unstable compounds that can be dangerous or toxic. In extreme cases, these atoms can even lead to nuclear reactions or explosions.