Example of differentiable manifold of class C^1

In summary, the statement that the set of points M\inℝ2 given by (t, \, |t|^2) is an example of a differentiable manifold of class C1 but not C2 may not be completely true. I think we need to find an atlas of charts that covers all of M in order for M to be a manifold. The function f that I suggested may be able to do this, but I am not sure yet.
mnb96
Hello,

I read from several sources the statement that the set of points M[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ2 given by [itex](t, \, |t|^2)[/itex] is an example of differentiable manifold of class C1 but not C2.

Is that true?
To be honest, that statement does not convince me completely, because in order for M to be a manifold, we should be able to find an atlas of charts [itex]x_i:U_i \rightarrow M[/itex] such that all the points of M are covered by the atlas.
So how do we cover the point (0,0) ?

Do we need to use 3 charts as follows?

[tex]x_1(t) = (t,\, t^2) \quad \, t\in(0,+\infty)[/tex]
[tex]x_2(t) = (t,\, -t^2) \quad \, t\in(-\infty, 0)[/tex]
[tex]x_3(t) = (t,t^2) \quad \, t\in(-1,1)[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mnb96 said:
Hello,

I read from several sources the statement that the set of points M[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ2 given by [itex](t, \, |t|^2)[/itex] is an example of differentiable manifold of class C1 but not C2.

Is that true?
To be honest, that statement does not convince me completely, because in order for M to be a manifold, we should be able to find an atlas of charts [itex]x_i:U_i \rightarrow M[/itex] such that all the points of M are covered by the atlas.
So how do we cover the point (0,0) ?

Do we need to use 3 charts as follows?

[tex]x_1(t) = (t,\, t^2) \quad \, t\in(0,+\infty)[/tex]
[tex]x_2(t) = (t,\, -t^2) \quad \, t\in(-\infty, 0)[/tex]
[tex]x_3(t) = (t,t^2) \quad \, t\in(-1,1)[/tex]
I don't understand what you're doing. For real numbers ##t##, ##|t|^2=t^2##, right?

Sorry, I reported the wrong equation for the curve . What I meant was that the points of M are given by [itex] (t, \, \mathrm{sign}(t)t^2)[/itex]

Why don't you use a ##C^1## function f that is not ##C^2## and try to find a manifold whose transition functions ae given by f ?

Only one I can think of now is $$f(x)= \frac {-x^2}{2}; x\leq 0$$ and

$$f(x) =\frac{x^2}{2} ; x>0$$

We have f'(x)=|x| , which is not differentiable. I'm not sure this will work; just an idea. Seems like an interesting question: given a (finite) collection of functions, can I find a manifold for which the transition functions are precisely those functions? I'm thinking this is the way one can construct bundles by choosing cocycles satisfying certain properties; can we do something similar for manifolds?

Hi WWGD,

I think the function you suggested is the same as the one I am considering, up to a scalar factor of 1/2.
In my first post I gave three coordinate charts x1, x2, x3 that I regarded as possibly correct candidates to form an atlas.

What I missed were the transition maps.
In this case, it seems that the transition maps are always the identity function on some domain: [tex]\tau_{1,3}(t)=\tau_{3,1}(t)=t \quad ; \, t\in(0,1)[/tex]
[tex]\tau_{2,3}(t)=\tau_{3,2}(t)=t \quad ; \, t\in(-1,0)[/tex]

If this last step is correct, it should prove that the curve is indeed a [itex]C^1[/itex]-differentiable manifold (but not [itex]C^2[/itex]).

Last edited:

Related to Example of differentiable manifold of class C^1

1. What is a differentiable manifold of class C^1?

A differentiable manifold of class C^1 is a type of mathematical space that is smooth and allows for differentiable functions to be defined on it. This means that at every point on the manifold, there exists a tangent space which allows for differentiation to be performed.

2. How is a differentiable manifold of class C^1 different from other types of manifolds?

A differentiable manifold of class C^1 is a specific type of manifold that is differentiable up to the first derivative. This means that it is smooth and allows for continuous functions to be defined on it. Other types of manifolds may have different levels of differentiability, such as C^2 or C^∞.

3. What are some examples of differentiable manifolds of class C^1?

Some examples of differentiable manifolds of class C^1 include spheres, tori, and real projective spaces. These are all smooth, continuous spaces that allow for differentiable functions to be defined on them.

4. How are differentiable manifolds of class C^1 used in science?

Differentiable manifolds of class C^1 are used in various areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in the study of dynamical systems and the modeling of physical phenomena, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some applications of differentiable manifolds of class C^1?

Some applications of differentiable manifolds of class C^1 include machine learning, computer graphics, and robotics. They are also used in the study of optimization problems and data analysis techniques, making them an important tool in many fields of science.