Exam Review Questions: Work, Kinetic Energy, Acceleration, and Impulse

In summary, the conversation was about a student asking for help on two physics problems, with the expert providing a summary of their work and confirming the correctness of their answers. The student also mentioned having trouble with a circuit problem and may ask for help on it later.
samurai
I'm working on a small worksheet for exam review that I could get some extra credit on. I've finished the problems posted below, but would like to know if they've been done correctly. If you can help on either, please do.

------------------------------

"[3] A 6.0kg block initially at rest is pulled to the right along a horizontal, frictionless surface by a constant, horizontal force of 12N. (a) Find the work done on the block after it has moved 3.0m. (b) Find the final kinetic energy of the block. (c) Find the acceleration of the block. (d) Find the speed of the block."

For part (a) I used W=F*d (W=12*3) to get W to equal W=36J. I then used F=m*a to find part (c), which I found to be 2m/s^2. I used the answer I found in part (c) to find part (d) by using v^2=2ad. I found (d) to equal v=3.5m/s. I then used the value I found in part (d) to answer part (b) by plugging in the velocity to KE=(1/2)mv^2, which I found KE to equal KE=36.75J. These answers don't really check out, however, and I'm not sure where I went wrong.

------------------------------

"[5] In a particular crash test, an automobile of mass 1500kg collides with a wall. The initial and final velocities of the automobile are -15m/s and 2.6m/s respectively. If the collision lasts for 0.150s, find the impulse due to the collision and the average force exerted on the automobile."

For the first part of the question (impulse) I used F(delta)t=m(Vf-Vi), which I calculated to be F(delta)t=264000kgm/s.

For the second part (average force) I used the fact that F(delta)t=(delta)p where (delta)p is change in momentum. Changing the equation to F = (delta)p / (delta)t, I found F to equal (26400kgm/s)/(0.150s), or F=1.76x10^5N. Is this correct?

Thanks for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by samurai
[3]... These answers don't really check out, however, and I'm not sure where I went wrong.
You methods are fine, but you did a little more work than needed. The work done on the block equals the final KE, so parts a and b have the same answer. Your answers don't check out perfectly due to round off error: for example, I got v = 3.46, not 3.5.
[5]... Is this correct?
Yes. (You did have a typo in your answer to the first part.)

Yep, looks like I added an extra zero on number 5 part one for good measure :wink:

Thanks for the help here Doc, I have one more problem on the sheet that I need to look at that deals with circuits. Depending on how I do on that, it may end up here tomorrow. Thanks again for the help, sir.

Related to Exam Review Questions: Work, Kinetic Energy, Acceleration, and Impulse

1. What is the purpose of "Various Exam Review Questions"?

The purpose of "Various Exam Review Questions" is to provide a comprehensive set of questions and answers that cover a variety of topics typically found on exams. These questions can serve as a study guide for students preparing for exams.

2. How are the questions in "Various Exam Review Questions" selected?

The questions in "Various Exam Review Questions" are carefully selected by subject matter experts and educators who have a deep understanding of the topics typically covered on exams. They aim to include a diverse range of questions that effectively test students' knowledge and understanding of the subject.

3. Can "Various Exam Review Questions" guarantee success on exams?

No, "Various Exam Review Questions" cannot guarantee success on exams. These questions are meant to serve as a study aid and should be used in conjunction with other study materials and strategies. Ultimately, success on exams depends on a student's individual effort and understanding of the subject matter.

4. Are the questions in "Various Exam Review Questions" updated regularly?

Yes, the questions in "Various Exam Review Questions" are updated regularly to ensure they align with the most current curriculum and exam standards. This helps to provide students with the most relevant and accurate study materials.

5. Can "Various Exam Review Questions" be used for all types of exams?

"Various Exam Review Questions" is designed to cover a wide range of topics and subjects typically found on exams. However, it is important to note that the questions may not align with every specific exam format or content. It is always best to check with your instructor or exam guidelines to ensure you are studying the most relevant material for your specific exam.