Exam coming soon, need help with this question

• Thread starter milan.007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the two bodies are moving in a straight line with a constant velocity of 40m/s and an acceleration of 2m/s2. The question asks how long it takes for the second body, which starts at rest, to catch up with the first body and how far from the starting point this occurs. To solve this, we can use the equations v=u+at, s=ut+0.5at^2, and v^2=u^2+2as. We can also draw a rough graph to visualize the situation. The 10 seconds mentioned in the problem is the time difference between when the first body starts moving and when the second body starts accelerating.
milan.007
Exam coming soon, need urgent help with this question!

Homework Statement

A body leaves a point A and moves in a straight line with a constant velocity of 40m/s. Ten seconds later another body which is at rest at A is given an accelleration of 2m/s2 and moves in the same direction as the first body. How long does it take the second body to catch up with the first? How far from A does this occur?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use these:
v=u+at
[tex]s=ut+0.5at^2[/tex]
[tex]v^2=u^2+2as[/tex]

and come back with specific doubts.:rolleyes:

I know I am suppsed to use those equations but i don't know how? I don't know what to do with the 10 seconds.

Draw a picture!

milan.007 said:
I don't know what to do with the 10 seconds.

Sometimes a picture makes things clearer.

Draw it for yourself (only roughly) on a graph (distance against time).

Then I think you'll see where the 10 seconds comes in. :smile:

Related to Exam coming soon, need help with this question

1. What can I do to prepare for my exam?

To prepare for your exam, start by reviewing all of your notes and materials from the class. Make sure to focus on the key concepts and topics that will likely be covered on the exam. It may also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards to help with memorization. Additionally, try to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of your exam.

2. How should I manage my time during the exam?

It's important to budget your time wisely during the exam. Start by quickly skimming through the entire exam to get an idea of the types of questions and how much time you should allocate for each one. Then, prioritize the questions that you feel most confident answering and leave more time for the ones that may take longer. Don't spend too much time on one question and make sure to leave some time at the end to review your answers.

3. What should I do if I don't know the answer to a question?

If you come across a question that you are unsure about, don't panic. First, try to eliminate any obviously wrong answer choices. Then, if you are still unsure, make an educated guess based on your knowledge of the subject. Remember, you won't lose points for incorrect answers, so it's better to guess than to leave a question blank.

4. How can I stay calm and focused during the exam?

Feeling nervous or anxious during an exam is normal, but it's important to try and stay calm and focused. Take deep breaths and remind yourself that you have prepared for this exam. If you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, take a quick break to clear your mind. Also, try to avoid distractions and stay focused on the task at hand.

5. What should I do after the exam?

After the exam, take a moment to congratulate yourself for completing it. Then, try to reflect on your performance and identify any areas that you may need to work on in the future. It's also a good idea to talk to your professor about the exam and any questions you may have. And finally, don't forget to relax and take a break before jumping into studying for your next exam.