Exactly why are these two expressions similar?

• I
  • Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular momentum and the first time derivative of angular momentum, and how it relates to the Coriolis force. The participants also consider the possibility of a mathematical connection between the two expressions.
snoopies622
So if angular momentum

[itex]

L = m r^2 \dot {\theta}

[/itex]

and we take the first time derivative

[itex]

\frac {d}{dt} L = 2mr \dot {r} \dot {\theta} + m r^2 \ddot {\theta}

[/itex]

the first term looks similar to the Coriolis force [itex] 2m( \bf {v} x \bf { \dot {\theta} } ) [/itex]
but I can't figure out why. Of course they both have to do with rotation so I'm guessing that it's not a coincidence, but I can't quite arrive at the exact mathematical connection between the two expressions.

Would anyone like to help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't look similar to me. Cross product vs. no cross product, and then you have the additional radius in one equation.

Yes, I should have expressed angular momentum and its time derivative as vectors as well, then we'd have cross products on both sides.

For the moment my hunch reasoning goes like this:

1.) In a rotating frame of reference, a "floating by" object (one not acted on by external forces) is subject to two fictious forces — centrifugal and Coriolis.

2.) A force causes a change in (linear) momentum.

3.) Angular momentum is a function of linear momentum, therefore a change in one is likely to effect a change in the other.

4.) The time derivative of angular momentum expresses a change in angular momentum.

So there's a connection. Hopefully this is enough to lead me through the mathematics and see if the similarity of the two terms mentioned in the OP is a coincidence or not.

Related to Exactly why are these two expressions similar?

1. What is the definition of similarity in the context of expressions?

Similarity in the context of expressions refers to two or more expressions sharing common features or characteristics. This can include similar mathematical operations, variables, or patterns.

2. How is similarity between expressions determined?

The similarity between expressions is determined by comparing their structural and functional components. This can involve analyzing the arrangement of terms, the type of operations used, and the overall purpose or meaning of the expressions.

3. What are the benefits of identifying similar expressions?

Identifying similar expressions can help in simplifying and solving complex mathematical problems, as well as in identifying patterns and generalizing solutions. It can also aid in understanding the relationships between different mathematical concepts.

4. Can two expressions be considered similar if they have the same result?

Not necessarily. While two expressions may yield the same result, they may still have different structures or functions, making them dissimilar. However, having the same result can be an indicator of potential similarity that requires further analysis.

5. How can identifying similar expressions aid in problem-solving?

Identifying similar expressions can help in problem-solving by simplifying complex expressions, identifying patterns, and generalizing solutions. It can also provide insight into the relationships between different mathematical concepts, making it easier to approach and solve problems.