Exact upper and lower limit of the sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the upper and lower limit of a given sequence, which is represented by an equation. The upper limit is determined to be 5 and the lower limit is determined to be 2. The proof is shown through the use of limits and the monotonic nature of the sequence. Additional methods, such as considering the difference between terms, can also be used to prove the upper and lower limit.
theakdad
I have one more problem,for the given sequence i have to find the exact upper and lower limit,and to argument them. i have been missing on this lesson,so please help me,i don't know how to do it.

So the sequence is:

an = \(\displaystyle \frac{2n+3}{n}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I am interpreting correctly what you meant by upper and lower limit, I would rewrite the $n$th term as follows:

\(\displaystyle a_n=2+\frac{3}{n}\)

What can you say about the terms as $n$ grows?

MarkFL said:
If I am interpreting correctly what you meant by upper and lower limit, I would rewrite the $n$th term as follows:

\(\displaystyle a_n=2+\frac{3}{n}\)

What can you say about the terms as $n$ grows?

I would say that upper limit is 5 and lower limit is 2.
But how to prove it? Or show it in math way?

How did you determine the bounds?

MarkFL said:
How did you determine the bounds?

I have assumed for a1

wishmaster said:
I have assumed for a1

You know:

\(\displaystyle a_1=2+\frac{3}{1}=5\)

and you know that \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{n}\) gets smaller as $n$ increases, so then you know $a_n$ is monotonically decreasing. How can you determine the lower bound?

MarkFL said:
You know:

\(\displaystyle a_1=2+\frac{3}{1}=5\)

and you know that \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{n}\) gets smaller as $n$ increases, so then you know $a_n$ is monotonically decreasing. How can you determine the lower bound?

\(\displaystyle \lim _{n \to \infty}2+ \frac{3}{n} = 2 + 0=0\) ?

wishmaster said:
\(\displaystyle \lim _{n \to \infty}2+ \frac{3}{n} = 2 + 0=0\) ?

Correct, except that $2+0=2$.

MarkFL said:
Correct, except that $2+0=2$.
Im sorry,thats what i thought..my mistake.

So with limit i have proved exact lower limit,i know that exact upper limit is 5,but how to write it correctly? With proof...

wishmaster said:
Im sorry,thats what i thought..my mistake.

So with limit i have proved exact lower limit,i know that exact upper limit is 5,but how to write it correctly? With proof...

What more do you need? You know the sequence bounds and that it is monotonic. All you need to do is discuss the fact that $\dfrac{3}{n}$ decreases as $n$ increases. Or you could consider the difference:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{n+1}-\frac{3}{n}\)

And show that it is negative for all $n\in\mathbb{N}$.

Related to Exact upper and lower limit of the sequence

What is an exact upper and lower limit of a sequence?

An exact upper and lower limit of a sequence refers to the highest and lowest possible values that a sequence can attain. These limits are determined by taking the values of the sequence and finding the maximum and minimum values, respectively.

How do you find the exact upper and lower limits of a sequence?

To find the exact upper and lower limits of a sequence, you must first identify all the values in the sequence. Then, you can use a mathematical formula to calculate the maximum and minimum values. This formula will depend on the type of sequence, such as arithmetic or geometric.

Why is it important to know the exact upper and lower limits of a sequence?

Knowing the exact upper and lower limits of a sequence can help in understanding the behavior and patterns of the sequence. It can also be useful in making predictions about future values of the sequence. Additionally, it can help in identifying any outliers or discrepancies in the data.

Can the exact upper and lower limits of a sequence change?

Yes, the exact upper and lower limits of a sequence can change if new values are added to the sequence. However, for a finite sequence, the limits will remain the same.

What is the difference between an exact and estimated upper and lower limit of a sequence?

An exact upper and lower limit of a sequence refers to the actual maximum and minimum values that the sequence can attain. On the other hand, an estimated upper and lower limit is an approximation of these values based on the available data. In some cases, the estimated limit may be close to the exact limit, but it is not guaranteed to be the exact value.