Exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, absorption?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spectrophotometers to measure the surface transmittance, reflectance, and absorption coefficient of thick glass samples. The equation for total reflected light and transmitted light is provided, as well as a method to obtain the unknown material properties using experimental measurements. Fresnel equations are suggested for calculating surface reflectance and transmittance, but may not be applicable for all materials. A method using experimental measurements is proposed to calculate the material properties.
M_1
I'm measuring transmittance through and reflectance from thick glass samples, using spectrophotometers. Does anyone know if there's an exact solution for the surface transmittance r, surface reflectance t, and absorption coefficient A (as in Beer-Lamberts law). For a specific wavelength the equation for total reflected light from the sample, R, is

R=r(1+t2e-2Ad)/(1-r2e-2Ad)

and the equation for the total transmitted light through the sample, T, is

T=t2e-Ad/(1-r2e-2Ad)

R and T are measured, thus known variables. So we have the unknown material properties r, t, and A, and two equations. I can measure a sample of the same material with another thickness d and then I have four equations and three unknowns. This should theoretically be enough but the algebraic becomes very complicated and I wonder if there actually is an analytic solution.

Of course I can approximate 1>>rre-2Ad in the second equation and obtain A by dividing the second equation for one thickness with the same equation for another thickness, but then it is no longer the exact solution.

Any help is most appreciated, as always. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
M_1 said:
Does anyone know if there's an exact solution for the surface transmittance r, surface reflectance t, and absorption coefficient A
For surface reflectance and transmittance, you can use Fresnel equations. For the absorption, I think it will be easier to just look up at the table of the corresponding material.

Thanks! But I don't know the materials properties. Therefore I don't know the complex refraction index and cannot use the Fresnel equations.

For Fresnel equations, you only need to know the used wavelength, the refractive index corresponding to this wavelength, and the angle of incidence (which I think should be normal given the form of the total reflectance and transmittance). Try typing the name of that glass in your browser to see if there is refractive index table already available for that material.

Ok I see what you mean. But I also sometimes measure on semitransparent polymers which I have now knowledge about, and sometimes I don't know which glass I have either! What I'm looking for is an exact method to use experimental measurements of spectral reflectance and transmittance in order to calculate the material properties r, t, and A.

Does not seem too complicated. Let R, T be the reflectance and transmission for thickness d, and R', T' the corresponding ones at thickness d'.
Then form RT'/(R'T) and solve for ##t^2##. Insert into the equation for T and solve for ##r^2##. Insert both ##t^2## and ##r^2## into the equation for R and you will get an expression which only contains a in terms of R, T, d and d'.

Related to Exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, absorption?

1. What are exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, and absorption?

Exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, and absorption refer to mathematical equations or models that accurately predict the amount of light that is reflected, transmitted, and absorbed by a material or surface. These solutions take into account factors such as the properties of the material, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light.

2. Why are exact solutions important in scientific research?

Exact solutions are important in scientific research because they provide a precise and reliable way to calculate and understand the behavior of light when it interacts with different materials. This information is crucial for a wide range of applications, including optics, materials science, and remote sensing.

3. How are exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, and absorption calculated?

Exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, and absorption are typically calculated using mathematical models such as the Fresnel equations or the Beer-Lambert Law. These models take into account the physical properties of the material, such as refractive index and absorption coefficient, as well as the characteristics of the incident light.

4. Can exact solutions be used for all materials and wavelengths?

No, exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, and absorption may not be applicable to all materials and wavelengths. The accuracy of these solutions depends on the assumptions and limitations of the mathematical models used. For example, some models may only be valid for certain types of materials or within a specific range of wavelengths.

5. How can exact solutions be validated?

Exact solutions for reflectance, transmittance, and absorption can be validated through experimental measurements and comparisons with other theoretical models. Additionally, these solutions can be used to make predictions about the behavior of light in different scenarios, and these predictions can be tested through experiments or observations in the real world.