Exact Sequences: Intuition & Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of exact sequences in homology theory and their role in measuring defects or obstructions in spaces. The snake lemma and Mayer Vietoris sequence are used to derive long exact sequences of homology groups, which allow for the computation of homology in more complex spaces. The concept of exact sequences is essentially the statement of the rank-nullity theorem, applied to compositions of maps. The Mayer Vietoris sequence uses the inclusion-exclusion principle to account for defects in overlapping spaces, while the snake lemma takes into account boundaries of higher-dimensional holes. This understanding can be applied to compute the homology of more complex spaces.
StatusX
Homework Helper
This is a very vague question, but I'd like to know whatever insights anyone could offer about exact sequences. What do they represent? Why are they so important? I'm studying homology right now, and exact sequences are central to the theory, but I've never seen them before. What is the intuition behind the different lemmas (snake, five, etc), or are they just abstract diagram chasing with no easy interpretation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The point about homology is that it measures defects, or obstructions.

So suppose that I have a map of vector spaces, f:V-->W. What is the obstruction that prevents that being an isomorphism? Well, there is the kernel of f, stopping it being injective and the cokernel of f stopping it being surjective. What that means is that we can complete

V-->W

to an exact sequence

0-->ker(f)-->V-->W-->coker(f)-->0

Anyhow. getting back to things at hand.

Things in homology are about measuring defects. Snake lemmas, etc, tell you how those defects are related.

It is just linear algebra, essentially - if something is not injective it has a kernel, etc.

Thanks, that makes sense. In a "perfect" space, with no holes, every cycle would be a boundary, and so the chain groups would form an exact sequence, and the homolgy would be trivial. The homology groups tell us how the space deviates from this, ie, what kinds of holes it has.

But I still don't understand where the actual, perfect exact sequences come into things. For example, take the Mayer Vietoris sequence. To derive this, you form the short exact sequence of chain groups.

[tex]0 \rightarrow C_n(A \cap B) \rightarrow C_n(A) \oplus C_n(B) \rightarrow C_n (A+B) \rightarrow 0[/tex]

Where it can be shown under nice circumstances that the homolgy induced by C_n(A+B) (sums of chains entirely in A or entirely in B) is isomorphic to the homology of their union. Then the snake lemma says this extends to a long exact sequence of homology groups:

[tex]...\rightarrow H_{n+1}(A \cup B)\rightarrow H_n(A \cap B) \rightarrow H_n(A) \oplus H_n(B) \rightarrow H_n (A \cup B) \rightarrow H_{n-1}(A \cap B) \rightarrow ... [/tex]

What does this mean? I know how to use it to compute things, and it is very useful for that. But I have no idea what this sequence tells me about the corresponding groups, let alone the corresponding spaces. Like I said, this is a very vauge question, and probably a difficult one to answer. It's probably just something you have to get familiar with, but I'm just looking for a head start in understanding it.

an exact sequence is just the statement of the rank nullity theorem, but repeated over and over for compositions of maps : i.e. 0-->A-->B-->C-->0 is exact if and only if the kernel of the map B-->C is A, and the map B-->C is onto.

i.e. the rank of the map B-->C is dimC and the nullity is dimA, and these add up to dimB.

the sequence 0-->A-->B-->C-->D-->0 is exact if the kernel of the map B-->C is A, and the quotient of C by the image of the map B-->C is D.

thus dimA-dimB+dimC-dimD = 0, etc...

Mayer Vietoris says that to work out the obstructions in AuB, that's like taking disjoint copies of A and B and looking at their defects, and then counting the ones you counted twice from their intersection that you ignored: it is the inclusion exclusion principle. The snake lemma tells you that if you were looking at n-dim holes, then you next need to take into account the n-1 dim holes - or the boundaries of the n-dim holes.

do an example, like A,B both discs, and AmeetB
a circle, and AunionB a sphere.presumably knowing the hom ology of a circle should allow you to compute the homology of a sphere.

Related to Exact Sequences: Intuition & Theory

1. What is an exact sequence?

An exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects (such as groups, modules, or vector spaces) and homomorphisms between them, where the image of one homomorphism is equal to the kernel of the next one. This means that the composition of consecutive homomorphisms is always equal to the zero map.

2. What is the importance of exact sequences in mathematics?

Exact sequences are important in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and homological algebra. They provide a powerful tool for studying the relationships between mathematical objects and their structures, and can help to prove important theorems and solve problems.

3. How are exact sequences related to chain complexes?

Exact sequences can be seen as a special case of chain complexes, where the objects are linked together by homomorphisms that are required to be exact. In this way, exact sequences can be used to study the homology and cohomology of chain complexes, which has important applications in topology and algebraic geometry.

4. Can you give an example of an exact sequence?

One example of an exact sequence is the short exact sequence in algebraic geometry: 0 → R → F → Q → 0, where R is the ring of integers, F is the field of rational numbers, and Q is the quotient field of R. In this sequence, the first homomorphism is the inclusion of R into F, and the second homomorphism is the canonical projection from F to Q. This sequence is exact because the image of R in F is equal to the kernel of the projection, which is the set of all integers in F.

5. How do exact sequences relate to homology and cohomology?

Exact sequences are closely related to homology and cohomology, which are tools used in topology and algebraic geometry to study the structure of geometric spaces. In fact, exact sequences can be used to define homology and cohomology groups, and they also play a key role in proving theorems and solving problems in these areas of mathematics.