Evolution of Limbs: Why Do Organisms Have Legs & Arms?

• Thread starter CoolBeans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of limbs in organisms. It mentions that limbs developed as a means of mobility and mate finding, and that the earliest known prototypes of limbs were lateral finfolds on the sides of fish. It also suggests that a gene mutation may have played a role in the development of limbs and the further divergence into arms and legs. The conversation recommends the use of Wikipedia's timeline of evolution as a starting point for further research.
CoolBeans
I do not study biology, i enjoy physics a lot more, but recently while i was thinking about our origins a question aroused my interest.

As i said i do not study biology, and i do not doubt evolution(this is asked out of honest curiosity). From my understanding all life started as a form of bacteria, so how did limbs, arms and legs, start? How did organisms go form being limbless to having legs and arms?

Thanks is advance

Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry for the 'quickie', class!

Wikipedia's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution" is a great place to start.

Modern "limb plans", really came out of the invasion of land by fish-Which actually experimented with varying shapes and numbers before selection hit upon the one still used today. However, motility because of primitive limbs or body movements developed much earlier than that.

Once life became multicellular (think of a big family of cells living together), and grew in size life need to become more mobile to support the organism, as staying in one place waiting for resources probably wasn't as efficient.

Also, motility would have increased mate finding and increasing your chances to mate.

Anyway, sorry again its short-I may have some time later to expand, but that Wiki article shows a nice progression.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to tell exactly when they arose, but the oldest creature I've ever heard of showing some signs of possibly having had limbs are arthropod-like fossils found dating to the late Ediacaran bearing some resemblance to the order Nectaspidida. If anything, these would have just been soft appendages hanging from the underbelly as well as antennae.

Obviously, something prior to that must have utilized protrusions of some sort from the main body to do work of one kind or another. Even unicellular creatures utilize flagella as an engineering solution to the problem of movement. Plus, limbed phyla that developed during the later Cambrian explosion didn't necessarily evolve from these earlier appendaged creatures.

But if you just imagine something like a manta ray that scours the seafloor, it's easy to see how even minor protrusions from the underbelly and forward region could prove advantageous, even if they could only be used initially for sensation and not movement. Then you can imagine the advantage it would confer for these to get longer and capable of aiding in motion.

That's speculative, though. The evolution of vertebrate limbs began in the late Cambrian and is better known since skeletons more easily fossilize. Even then, nobody really knows for certain, but Anapsids had lateral finfolds running down both sides of their bodies (just imagine pinching in the sides of a previously tubular fish). As far as I know, it's thought that true paired fins, from which other types of vertebrate limbs evolved, developed from losing segments of these folds. These were the earliest known direct prototypes of what you now walk on.

Truely new traits usualy involve the copying of a gene. This gene, in your case, after several mutations, produced a protrusion that allowed locomotion via a "limb". This limb gene and the toolkit genes that control it then evolved together to produce different limb configureations. Then these genes got copyed again and further diverged into arms and legs. Last good theory I read anyways. Think I got it from here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393065960/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Hope that helps!

As a physicist, I am not an expert in the field of biology and evolution. However, from my understanding of evolution, the development of limbs and arms can be attributed to the process of natural selection.

Over millions of years, organisms with certain genetic variations that allowed them to move more efficiently and access resources better were more likely to survive and pass on their genes to future generations. This resulted in the gradual development of limbs and arms, which provided a significant advantage in terms of mobility and manipulation of the environment.

Additionally, the development of limbs and arms can also be linked to environmental factors. For example, in aquatic environments, fins evolved into limbs as organisms adapted to move on land. Insects, on the other hand, developed multiple limbs to aid in flight and movement on land. Therefore, the evolution of limbs and arms can be seen as a response to the changing environment and the need for organisms to adapt and survive.

It is important to note that the process of evolution is a gradual and continuous one, and the development of limbs and arms was not a sudden event. It took millions of years for organisms to evolve from being limbless to having limbs and arms, and this process was driven by natural selection and environmental factors.

In conclusion, the evolution of limbs and arms is a complex and fascinating process that can be explained through the principles of natural selection and adaptation. While there may be gaps in our understanding, the evidence from fossil records and genetic studies strongly supports the idea that limbs and arms developed through the process of evolution.

Related to Evolution of Limbs: Why Do Organisms Have Legs & Arms?

1. What is the theory of evolution of limbs?

The theory of evolution of limbs proposes that over time, organisms have developed limbs (such as legs and arms) as an adaptation to their environment. These limbs have undergone changes through natural selection, resulting in the diverse forms of limbs we see in different species today.

2. Why do some organisms have more limbs than others?

The number of limbs an organism has is largely determined by its evolutionary history and the environmental pressures it has faced. Some species may have evolved more limbs for increased mobility or to perform specialized tasks, while others may have lost limbs due to lack of use or as a result of evolutionary trade-offs.

3. How do limbs contribute to an organism's survival and success?

Limbs play a crucial role in an organism's ability to move, hunt, defend, and interact with its environment. They also aid in obtaining food, avoiding predators, and finding mates. Therefore, limbs are essential for an organism's survival and overall success in its ecosystem.

4. Do all organisms have the same type of limbs?

No, different species have evolved different types of limbs to suit their specific needs and environments. For example, some animals have legs for walking, while others have wings for flying or fins for swimming. The form and function of limbs vary greatly among different organisms.

5. Can limbs continue to evolve in the future?

Yes, evolution is an ongoing process, and limbs can continue to evolve in response to changing environments and selective pressures. For example, as human activities continue to alter our planet, organisms may adapt and evolve new limb structures to survive in these changing conditions.