Has there been identical (N>2)-tuplets?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, there have been recorded instances of genetically identical human siblings other than identical twins. Triplets, quads, quins etc are all always identical twins.
Loren Booda
Have there been any recorded instances of genetically identical human siblings other than identical twins?

Biology news on Phys.org
You know, until you asked, I always thought that triplet, quads, quins etc were all always Identical twins.
I looked it up in my biology textbook, but it didn't have anything to say on the topic (that I could find anyway) So well..yeah... I have nothing of any use to say I guess.

Triplets can come in three combinations:

1. Monozygotic triplets
2. From 2 zygotes, one of which splits, leaving two identical twins, and a 'singleton' (dizygotic)
3. From 3 separate zygotes (trizygotic)

Monozygotic triplets were extremely rare before fertility treatments. I guess the same came happen to higher order n-tuplets, but at a much lower rate.

Say the natural incidence of identical twins is I (~1/100). Wouldn't the incidence of identical triplets be 2I2 (~1/5000)?

Since the probability of the initial zygote separating into identical twins is I, the probability of either resultant zygote further separating once should also be I, and when both resultants are considered together for triplets, 2I. Overall, then, the incidence of triplets should be 2I2.

I have identical triplet girls, so yes, it is possible, and is not known to be hereditary (the occurrence of identicals are equal across all ethnicities, backgrounds, etc). My girls are true identicals, not mirror image. Also, they are monochorionic triamniotic triplets (one big sac around three separate ones). As you've probably discovered, there is very little information as far as statistics regarding the phenomenon. From what the doctors figured, using the rate of identical triplets over all triplets (less than 4% of the time) and the rate of triplet births for every birth (?), it's about 1 in 4 million births. Hope this helps...

Oh yeah, monozygotic multiples have not increased more than the birth rate since fertility methods have increased because the two are not linked in a cause-and-effect relationship. Fertility methods often increase the number of eggs released before fertilization, not the ability of a zygote to fracture. Identicals are formed by the "freakish" splitting of the zygote on its own whim :) ~ Loren

1. How rare are (N>2)-tuplets?

Identical (N>2)-tuplets, also known as higher order multiples, are extremely rare. The chance of having identical (N>2)-tuplets is estimated to be about 1 in 100 million births.

2. What causes (N>2)-tuplets to occur?

(N>2)-tuplets occur when a single fertilized egg splits into multiple embryos. This is known as monozygotic twinning. The exact cause of this phenomenon is not fully understood, but it is thought to be a random occurrence and not influenced by genetics or environmental factors.

3. Is there a genetic predisposition for (N>2)-tuplets?

No, there is no known genetic predisposition for (N>2)-tuplets. As mentioned before, the occurrence of (N>2)-tuplets is a random event and not influenced by genetics or family history.

4. Can (N>2)-tuplets be born at different times?

Yes, it is possible for (N>2)-tuplets to be born at different times. This is known as asynchronous birth and can occur when the embryos split at different stages of development.

5. How does the birth of (N>2)-tuplets impact the mother and babies?

The birth of (N>2)-tuplets can be a high-risk pregnancy for the mother and babies. The mother may experience complications such as preterm labor, gestational diabetes, and high blood pressure. The babies may also be born prematurely and have a higher risk of health complications. It is important for the mother to receive specialized prenatal care to monitor the health of both the mother and babies.