Evolution Function: A Clue to Understanding Self-Similarity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of self-similar equations and their connection to building fractals. The speaker is troubled by this concept and has searched for information on it. They provide a description of how self-similar equations work and mention the famous Mandlebrot diagram as an example. They also suggest searching for related topics such as fractal theory and self-referent formulas. The other person thanks them for their explanation and expresses interest in the subject.
enricfemi
I am reading a paper about self-similar.but this concept,evolution function,really troubled me.and i have seached wiki,but it didn't work.can anyone explain it wisely or provide a clue about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I encountered self-similar equations in regard to building factals. Or maybe I am confusing the idea of self-referrent equations. Anyway, if this helps, such an equation has a term which is first put in by hand. Then the solution to that equation is put back in the same formula term, generating yet another solution. That solution is again put back into the formula. In this way, the formula "evolves," that is, it either goes to zero or infinity, or, more interesting, it generates a pattern of results that may go on to infinite re-itterations. One such formula generates the famous Mandlebrot diagram.

Try searching for fractal theory, self-referent formulas, Mandlebrot diagram.

Hope this helps,

S

thanks starkind
i really felt illuminated.and it's very interesting subject.

Related to Evolution Function: A Clue to Understanding Self-Similarity

1. What is the Evolution Function?

The Evolution Function is a mathematical concept that describes how a system evolves over time. It is often used to study self-similarity, or how patterns repeat themselves at different scales.

2. How does the Evolution Function relate to Evolutionary Theory?

The Evolution Function is not directly related to Evolutionary Theory, which explains the development of biological species over time. However, both concepts involve the idea of change and adaptation over time.

3. How is the Evolution Function used in science?

The Evolution Function is used in many fields of science, including biology, physics, and economics. It can help researchers understand patterns and relationships in complex systems and make predictions about future behavior.

4. Can the Evolution Function be used to study human behavior?

Yes, the Evolution Function can be applied to study human behavior and social systems. It has been used in fields such as psychology, sociology, and anthropology to understand patterns and dynamics within societies.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Evolution Function?

The Evolution Function has many practical applications, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing weather patterns, and understanding the growth and development of cities. It has also been used to study the evolution of diseases and the spread of epidemics.