Everything is in motion, what is not?

• B
  • Thread starter starseeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, these scientists are discussing the nature of the universe and how it is constantly moving. They are saying that without motion, our universe would not work and something would go terribly wrong. They are also discussing the various effects of velocity and how it affects our reality.
starseeker
Ok so the planets rotate on their own axis's, in turn, they rotate around the sun, the sun and all our planets combined rotates in turn around the milky way galaxy's black hole, our milkyway galaxy is moving towards the great attractor and now new science confirmed that we are being reppeled by the a great repeller too which all to me is very intriguing. All this is happening at great velocities.

That tells me there is absolutely nothing that is staionary ? There is nothing that has absolutely no velocity in the universe, is that correct ? And if the nature of the universe and everything in it is to constantly be on the move, what might it tell us about the mechanics of the universe, what would happen if something is stopped to absolute zero velocity, and if space itself is a medium, what would happen if it stops moving as well.
i can't help but think that without motion, our universe will not work and something will go terribly wrong, to me it seems to be comparable to a gyroscope say on a sateleite, if it stops spinning, it goes out of control.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Imagine the Earth would stop. What does this mean? Can you define it?

starseeker said:
That tells me there is absolutely nothing that is staionary ? There is nothing that has absolutely no velocity in the universe, is that correct ? And if the nature of the universe and everything in it is to constantly be on the move, what might it tell us about the mechanics of the universe, what would happen if something is stopped to absolute zero velocity, and if space itself is a medium, what would happen if it stops moving as well.

My understanding of physics is limited compared to most here, so please correct me if I'm wrong. But I was under the impression that velocity is relative and so, unless absolutely EVERYTHING stops moving, something will never have "absolute zero" velocity.

starseeker said:
Ok so the planets rotate on their own axis's, in turn, they rotate around the sun, the sun and all our planets combined rotates in turn around the milky way galaxy's black hole, our milkyway galaxy is moving towards the great attractor and now new science confirmed that we are being reppeled by the a great repeller too which all to me is very intriguing. All this is happening at great velocities.

i can't help but think that without motion, our universe will not work and something will go terribly wrong, to me it seems to be comparable to a gyroscope say on a sateleite, if it stops spinning, it goes out of control.

There is actually no such thing as absolute velocity, only velocity relative to other objects. You cannot put a definite value, for example, on the Earth's absolute velocity; only its velocity relative to the Sun or the Milky Way centre, or the Andromeda Galaxy or whatever.

That said, there is nowhere you can escape the gravity of something. So, in a sense, everything is constantly changing its velocity relative to everything else. And, because of gravity you cannot effectively have static equilibrium on a cosmic scale.

Added to this there is the expansion of space itself, which results in the constantly increasing distance over time of objects separated by significant cosmic distances.

Likes stoomart
I guess I'm just trying to dig deeper on what's already known about the universe, we know the universe won't work to create our reality if there is no constant motion, and if there is no gravity and vacuum.

i guess I'm just trying to understand it from a 3rd person perspective "outside" the universe, the true origins of gravity for one albeit still speculation is that gravity may originate from outside our universe, and why is space mainly in vacuum form "we live in a black hole theory" explains it best so far for myself, impossible questions but just thinking about it a lot, thanks i guess Perok confirmed a few points..

starseeker said:
That tells me there is absolutely nothing that is staionary ? There is nothing that has absolutely no velocity in the universe, is that correct ?
No, it isn't. I am stationary. Why? Because I said so. That's the Principle of Relativity - invented by Galileo - in action.

starseeker said:
i guess I'm just trying to understand it from a 3rd person perspective "outside" the universe
There is no such thing, not even as a thought experiment.

Last edited:
Since the 'universe', by definition, includes everything that ever has and ever will exist getting outside the universe is like trying to get outside of yourself.

Edit. Cosmologists like to use what is known as the CMB rest frame as a reference standard. Under that scheme, our galaxy, is cruising along about 600 km/sec in the general direction of the constellation Hydra [as viewed from earth]. The solar system, which is orbiting the center of the galaxy, is moving about 225 km/sec along a line stretching from the star Sirius and towards the star Vega. Not to worry, no star wrecks loom in our future, Sirius and Vega are heading pretty much in the same direction we are.

Chronos said:
Since the 'universe', by definition, includes everything that ever has and ever will exist getting outside the universe is like trying to get outside of yourself.

What if he wants to observe it from a different universe? The multiverse theory is a real theory. The OP's question is not unworthy of being discussed as a thought experiment.

lifeonmercury said:
What if he wants to observe it from a different universe? The multiverse theory is a real theory. The OP's question is not unworthy of being discussed as a thought experiment.
If there are other universes they are not in causal contact with this one so yes, it IS unworthy of being discussed since it is meaningless.

The multiverse is a theory intrinsically incapable of being falsibied. Labeling it causally disconnected merely guarantees it will never offer any testable predictions.

It was Einstein's fundamental insight that there is no absolute reference frame. His entire theory is based on the idea that there is no such thing as a zero reference for velocity and motion and the only fixed thing is the speed of light in a vacuum. Go read up on the Theory of Relativity for more understanding. It will take quite a bit of work to get your head around it a little, at least it did for me. There are no easy answers to this. It is a fundamental question.

Related to Everything is in motion, what is not?

1. What is the concept of "Everything is in motion, what is not?"

The concept of "Everything is in motion, what is not?" is based on the idea that everything in the universe is constantly moving and changing, from the smallest particles to the largest celestial bodies. This means that there is no such thing as absolute rest or stillness in the universe.

2. Is there anything that is truly stationary or not in motion?

No, according to the laws of physics, there is no such thing as an object that is truly stationary. Even if an object appears to be at rest, it is actually moving in relation to other objects in the universe.

3. How does the concept of motion relate to the laws of physics?

The concept of motion is a fundamental principle in the laws of physics. The laws of motion, as described by Sir Isaac Newton, state that all objects will remain in motion or at rest unless acted upon by an external force. This means that motion is an essential aspect of understanding and explaining the physical world.

4. What evidence supports the idea that everything is in motion?

There is a wealth of evidence from various scientific disciplines that supports the idea that everything is in motion. For example, observations and experiments in astronomy, physics, and biology all demonstrate that objects in the universe are constantly moving and changing.

5. How does the concept of motion impact our daily lives?

The concept of motion has a significant impact on our daily lives. From the rotation of the Earth that gives us day and night, to the movement of our bodies as we walk and breathe, motion is ingrained in everything we do. Understanding motion also allows us to develop technologies such as transportation and communication, which greatly improve our daily lives.