Everything Energy? My Thoughts on the Question

In summary, the question is whether a system is made up of energy or if a system has energy. The concept of energy is vague and there are many types of energy. While a system can have a quantity of energy, it is not the same as saying that the system is energy. The idea of everything being energy is a simplification, and the true understanding lies in the "great unifications" that account for all the differences.
Lisastronomy
I wondered about this question. According to me, there 2 ways you can look at it. A system can have energy, or a system is energy. Next to that, the idea of energy, the definition of energy seems a bit vague to me. There are so many types of energy, but what is it really? A system can have energy, like kinetic energy, but aren't in some sense all the particles also energy, and in the end is not everything energy? What are your thoughts on this?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisastronomy said:
A system can have energy
Correct.
Lisastronomy said:
, or a system is energy.
Energy is a quantity associated with a system. Every system has a quantity of energy associated with it, but that doesn't mean that a system is energy. Any more than objects are colour.

Lisastronomy said:
Next to that, the idea of energy, the definition of energy seems a bit vague to me. There are so many types of energy, but what is it really? A system can have energy, like kinetic energy, but aren't in some sense all the particles also energy, and in the end is not everything energy? What are your thoughts on this?
You could try reading at least the introduction here:

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_04.html

Or, slightly more off the wall:

Likes pinball1970
Lisastronomy said:
What are your thoughts on this?

It is not about what our thoughts are, it is about what is the well established and well tested understanding. There is really no need to break open door.

Likes pinball1970, Rive and Vanadium 50
Lisastronomy said:
What are your thoughts on this?
It is a bit paradoxical, but the very point of the 'great unifications' is to make an account for all the differences.
The 'everything is energy' is just a thin layer of paint meant to make it look all the same.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in many forms, such as heat, light, electricity, and motion.

2. How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced through various processes, such as burning fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, or harnessing renewable sources like wind or solar power.

3. What are the different types of energy?

There are many types of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (energy stored in an object), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy, and electromagnetic energy (light and radiation).

4. How is energy related to the environment?

Energy production and consumption have a significant impact on the environment. Burning fossil fuels releases greenhouse gases, which contribute to climate change. Renewable energy sources have a lower environmental impact, but their production and infrastructure can also have consequences.

5. What are some ways to conserve energy?

There are many ways to conserve energy, including using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using alternative modes of transportation, such as walking or biking. Conserving energy can also save money and reduce our overall impact on the environment.