Everyday I take axioms for granted

• Thread starter J77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axioms
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance or significance of axioms in mathematics and what constitutes an important axiom. The participants also mention the list of axioms on Wikipedia and suggest exploring the axioms of Euclidean plane geometry. They also touch on the idea of using axioms to prove the existence of dragons and the need for a suitable definition of a dragon.
J77
Another thread got me thinking...

Everyday I take axioms for granted, eg. muliplication, addition, ordering of reals.

From the pure point of view, what axioms are the most important (most used) ones?

Wikipedia has a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_axioms

However, I'd like to know the purists opinions :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They're not that important, then?

:biggrin:

You will have to tell us what you consider to be "important".
Mathematics involves an enormous number of "systems" each of which has its own axioms. Within a specific system, from a logical viewpoint, all axioms are equally "important".

The wikipedia list you cite is essentially a list of axioms for set theory.

A neat system of axioms to explore are the Euclidean plane geometry axioms.

I'm using ZF + "odd perfect numbers exist" and trying to conclude that dragons exist.

It think a constructivist approach would be best for that- exhibit a dragon!

J77 said:
Everyday I take axioms for granted, eg. muliplication, addition, ordering of reals.
Seems to me that multiplication and addition are operations not axioms. Once you stated an axiom describing the ordering of numbers, operations like addition and multiplication would follow logically and would not require additional axioms. No?

CRGreathouse said:
I'm using ZF + "odd perfect numbers exist" and trying to conclude that dragons exist.

well, you just need to adopt a suitable definition for a dragon!

Data said:
well, you just need to adopt a suitable definition for a dragon!

Why? I'd think any old definiton would do.

Related to Everyday I take axioms for granted

1. What are axioms?

Axioms are statements or principles that are accepted as true without requiring proof or evidence. They serve as the foundation of a logical system or theory.

2. How do axioms relate to everyday life?

Axioms can be applied to everyday life by providing a set of fundamental beliefs or assumptions that guide our understanding and decision-making. For example, the axiom "all humans are mortal" is a commonly accepted truth that affects our interactions with others and our understanding of the world.

3. What is the importance of axioms in scientific research?

Axioms are crucial in scientific research as they provide a starting point for formulating hypotheses and theories. They also help to establish a common ground for communication and understanding among scientists.

4. Can axioms change over time?

Yes, axioms can change over time as new evidence and discoveries are made. What was once accepted as a fundamental truth may be challenged and revised based on new information.

5. Are all axioms universally accepted?

No, not all axioms are universally accepted. Axioms can vary depending on the context and field of study. What may be accepted as an axiom in one discipline may be questioned in another.