Every website that a Physics Major should check?

In summary, the conversation discusses various websites that are sources for physics news, with the recommendation to always verify the credibility of the information by checking the original research. Some suggested websites include physics.org, physicsworld.com, and physics today, with a mention of the highlights section in journals such as Nature and Science. Additionally, the conversation mentions the physics blogs recommended by physicsforums.com.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
I had a curious question.

I am wondering where physics majors and physicists obtain their "physics news".

Essentially, I am wondering on any given day/week/month, what are the websites (related to physics) that you check/read?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boom.

Haha, fair enough guys.

But, what about something like phys.org? Is that a credible website for physics news? etc.

Usually physics today and I always check the arXiv for new papers in my field.

RJLiberator said:
But, what about something like phys.org? Is that a credible website for physics news? etc.
For quick headline news, yes, but always go the extra step and look at the paper/research the news is based off of. Phys.org usually has a link to it at the bottom.

Likes RJLiberator
Likes RJLiberator
APS also has a highlights section called "Physics," but I think it only includes things that were published in APS journals. Nature and Science both generally have roundups of their favorites from the literature. ACS also publishes (more chemistry-oriented) science highlights in C&E news.

Likes RJLiberator
I second physicsworld. Physics Today, published by APS, is also a good source, if a bit "fluffy."

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Every website that a Physics Major should check?

1. What are some reputable websites for physics majors to check?

Some popular websites that physics majors often visit include Physics.org, Physics World, and Physics Central. These websites offer a variety of resources such as news articles, research papers, and career information for physics majors.

2. Are there any websites specifically for physics students?

Yes, there are several websites designed specifically for physics students. Some examples include PhysLink, Physics Classroom, and Physics Forums. These websites provide helpful study tools, practice problems, and forums for students to discuss physics-related topics.

3. Can I find online simulations and experiments on physics websites?

Yes, many physics websites offer online simulations and experiments for students to explore and learn from. Some popular options include PhET Interactive Simulations, Interactive Physics, and The Physics Classroom Interactive.

4. Are there any websites that offer research opportunities for physics majors?

Yes, there are websites that list research opportunities for physics majors, such as the American Physical Society's Physics REU program and the National Science Foundation's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program. These websites also provide information on how to apply for these opportunities.

5. Are there any websites that provide career information for physics majors?

Yes, there are several websites that offer career information for physics majors, such as the American Institute of Physics' Physics Careers Resource and the American Physical Society's Careers in Physics. These websites provide job listings, career advice, and information on graduate programs for physics majors.