Every interval (a,b) contains both rational and irrational numbers

In summary, Peter is seeking help with understanding Theorem 7 in Chapter 1 of Charles Chapman Pugh's book "Real Mathematical Analysis." The theorem states that if a is less than b, then the set B \ A contains two distinct rational numbers, r and s. Peter also asks for clarification on the notation A|A' in Pugh's definition of a Dedekind cut.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Chapter 1:"Real Numbers" of Charles Chapman Pugh's book "Real Mathematical Analysis.

I need help with the proof of Theorem 7 on pages 19-20.

Theorem 7 (Chapter 1) reads as follows:
View attachment 3828
View attachment 3829In the above proof, Pugh writes:

" ... ... The fact that \(\displaystyle a \lt b\) implies the set B \ A contains two distinct rational numbers, say \(\displaystyle r, s\). ... ... "

Can someone help me to understand exactly how it follows that \(\displaystyle a \lt b\) implies the set B \ A contains two distinct rational numbers, say \(\displaystyle r, s\)?

Peter***NOTE***

Since Theorem 7, Chapter 1, mentions cuts, i am providing Pugh's definition of a Dedekind cut, as follows:View attachment 3830

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter, could you please explain the meaning of the notation $A|A'$?

Euge said:
Peter, could you please explain the meaning of the notation $A|A'$?
Sorry Euge, I should have included that notation after the definition of a cut in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) ... ... my apologies ...

A cut in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) is a pair of subsets \(\displaystyle A, B\) with the three conditions shown above in my post ... the Dedekind cut is denoted \(\displaystyle A|B\) ...

So \(\displaystyle A|A\)' is a Dedekind cut involving the two sets \(\displaystyle A\) and \(\displaystyle A'\)

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Related to Every interval (a,b) contains both rational and irrational numbers

What does it mean for an interval to contain both rational and irrational numbers?

It means that within the interval, there are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (rational numbers) and numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio (irrational numbers).

Why is it important to know that every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers?

It is important because it helps us understand the nature of real numbers and the fact that they cannot be neatly categorized into rational or irrational. It also allows us to use both types of numbers in mathematical calculations and models.

How do I know if a number is rational or irrational?

A number is rational if it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, for example 2/3 or 7/4. A number is irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio, for example √2 or π.

Is there an infinite number of rational and irrational numbers in every interval?

Yes, there is an infinite number of both rational and irrational numbers in every interval. This is because there are an infinite number of rational and irrational numbers in the entire number line, and any interval is just a portion of the number line.

Can a number be both rational and irrational?

No, a number cannot be both rational and irrational. A number can only be categorized as one or the other based on its ability to be expressed as a ratio of two integers.