Evergy of Simple harmonic motion

In summary, the problem involves finding the force constant of a spring attached to a mass that is undergoing simple harmonic motion with a period of 0.63 seconds and a total energy of 1.9 J. Using the relation between angular frequency, spring constant, and mass, the force constant can be calculated to be 1.54 N/m.
Jake4

Homework Statement

A 0.155 kg mass is attached to a spring and
executes simple harmonic motion with a pe-
riod of 0.63 s. The total energy of the system
is 1.9 J.
Find the force constant of the spring.

Homework Equations

E=1/2(kA^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

We went over in class, how to find the spring constants and such when given the amplitude. However I can't figure out how to work this one out. I think I'm missing a piece. I'm assuming there's a way to find A from the period?

any help would be wonderful, thank you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know the relation between [tex]\omega[/tex], k and m ?

I do not.. >.<

Jake4 said:

Homework Statement

A 0.155 kg mass is attached to a spring and
executes simple harmonic motion with a pe-
riod of 0.63 s. The total energy of the system
is 1.9 J.
Find the force constant of the spring.

Homework Equations

E=1/2(kA^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

We went over in class, how to find the spring constants and such when given the amplitude. However I can't figure out how to work this one out. I think I'm missing a piece. I'm assuming there's a way to find A from the period?

any help would be wonderful, thank you guys!

we know that w = 2 pi / T
w = 9.97

and we also know,

w squared = k/m

hence solving for k you get k = 1.54 N/m

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the concept of energy in simple harmonic motion and how to calculate the force constant of a spring in this scenario. In simple harmonic motion, the total energy of the system is the sum of the kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE). This can be represented by the equation E = 1/2kA^2, where k is the force constant of the spring and A is the amplitude of the motion.

In this scenario, we are given the period of the motion (0.63 s) and the total energy of the system (1.9 J). To find the force constant, we need to find the amplitude of the motion. This can be done by using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the force constant. Rearranging this equation, we get A = √(2E/mω^2), where ω is the angular frequency (2π/T).

Substituting the given values into this equation, we get A = √(2*1.9/0.155*(2π/0.63)^2) = 0.18 m. Now, we can use this value of A in the equation E = 1/2kA^2 to solve for k. This gives us k = 2E/A^2 = 2*1.9/(0.18)^2 = 58.02 N/m.

Therefore, the force constant of the spring in this scenario is 58.02 N/m. This value can be used to determine the restoring force of the spring at any point in the motion and can also be used to predict the behavior of the system in other situations.

Related to Evergy of Simple harmonic motion

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of repetitive oscillatory motion where the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position follows a sinusoidal pattern.

What is the equation for the energy of simple harmonic motion?

The equation for the energy of simple harmonic motion is E=1/2kA^2, where k is the spring constant and A is the amplitude of the oscillation.

What is the relationship between the kinetic and potential energy in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the kinetic energy and potential energy are constantly interchanging. When the displacement is maximum, the kinetic energy is zero and the potential energy is at its maximum. When the displacement is zero, the kinetic energy is at its maximum and the potential energy is zero.

How does damping affect the energy of simple harmonic motion?

Damping, which is the dissipation of energy due to external forces, decreases the amplitude of the oscillation and thus decreases the total energy of the system.

What is the relationship between the frequency and energy of simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the energy of the system. When the frequency increases, the energy also increases.