Events possibly related to antivirus software and/or Firefox

In summary, the conversation discusses messages in the event viewer on a XP-pro operated machine, specifically a thread in process taking longer than 30000 ms and the McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine service failing to start due to a missing file. The suggestion is to try reinstalling McAfee.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
On my XP-pro (SP2) operated machine I have come across messages in the event viewer such as:
Event Viewer said:
A thread in process c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe took longer than 30000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 1776 (0x6f0)
Thread address : 0x1205B420
Thread message :
Build VSCORE.11.0.0.151 / 11.34
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume2\DOCUME~1\SERDAR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WEReff2.dir00\firefox.exe.hdmp
by DUMPREP.EXE
27001(25594)(0)
10010(25594)(34856296)
24000(25594)(2)
10006(25594)(0)
27000(25594)(26)
27001(24125)(0)
10010(24125)(34856296)
24000(24125)(2)
Event Viewer said:
The McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
In addition, when I let McAfee Virtual Tech scan the PC it returned the following:
McAfee Virtual Technician said:
Virtual Technician Report - Personal Firewall Plus
Issue(s) detected
Missing files
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\app\MPF.adf
Does anyone have an idea as to whether these are related, and how to solve each?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you're missing some mccaffee files. Try reinstalling it.

Based on the information provided, it is possible that these events are related to the antivirus software and/or Firefox. The event regarding the thread in process taking longer than 30000 ms to complete a request could be related to the antivirus software scanning the Firefox.exe file. The missing file detected by the McAfee Virtual Tech scan could also be related to the issue with the antivirus software failing to start due to the system not being able to find the specified file.

To solve these issues, it is recommended to first try reinstalling the antivirus software and making sure it is up to date. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to contact the antivirus software provider for further assistance. It is also recommended to update Firefox to the latest version and run a full scan on the system to check for any potential malware or viruses. If the issue continues, it may be necessary to contact Firefox support for further assistance.

Related to Events possibly related to antivirus software and/or Firefox

1. How can I tell if my antivirus software is causing issues with Firefox?

There are a few ways to determine if your antivirus software is causing problems with Firefox. One method is to temporarily disable your antivirus and see if the issues persist. If they go away, then your antivirus may be the culprit. You can also check your antivirus settings to see if Firefox is listed as a trusted program. If not, you may need to add it to the list to prevent any conflicts.

2. Why is my antivirus software blocking certain websites on Firefox?

Antivirus software often has built-in web protection features that can block certain websites if they are deemed suspicious or harmful. This can also sometimes be triggered by a false positive. Check your antivirus settings to see if there is an option to adjust the level of web protection or to add the blocked website to a list of exceptions.

3. Can antivirus software slow down Firefox?

Yes, antivirus software can potentially slow down Firefox. This is because antivirus programs often run in the background and can use up system resources, which can affect the performance of other programs. If you notice that Firefox is running slower than usual, try temporarily disabling your antivirus to see if it makes a difference.

4. How can I prevent antivirus software from interfering with Firefox?

To prevent antivirus software from interfering with Firefox, you can try adding Firefox to the list of trusted programs in your antivirus settings. You can also try adjusting the web protection settings to allow Firefox to access the internet without any restrictions. If the issues persist, you may need to contact your antivirus provider for further assistance.

5. Is it necessary to have antivirus software installed if I use Firefox?

While Firefox does have built-in security features, it is still recommended to have antivirus software installed on your computer. This can help protect against a wide range of threats, including malware and viruses, that may not be specifically targeted towards Firefox. It is important to keep your antivirus software updated and to use caution when browsing the internet to stay safe online.

Back