What is the meaning of M (slope) and b (y-intercept) in math?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the meaning of the letter M in the y-intercept formula is still debated. Some believe it stands for "meta" in Greek meaning change, while others suggest it could be related to the Arabic origins of algebra. The earliest use of M for slope can be seen in a page dating back to 1637.
Euphoriet
I always thought the M stood for something like meta which was like greek for change or something.. but I am not sure that is right =-/

Can someone also refresh my memory regarding the meaning of b in the y intercept fomula?.. why did they decide to set it to be.. I think there is a reason for it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thanks.. it sucks no one really knows though... and besides.. why are they connecting it to english meanings.. wouldn't it be more efficient if it were connected to the languages where algebra started?... if its algebra wouldn't it make more sense if it was compared to arabian words?

Here is another page that discusses the earliest uses of the symbol m for slope:

http://members.aol.com/jeff570/geometry.html [Broken]

Scroll down to the part labeled 'Slope.'

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the meaning of M (slope)?

The slope, represented by the letter M, measures the steepness of a line. It is calculated by dividing the change in the y-coordinate by the change in the x-coordinate between two points on a line.

Why is slope important in mathematics?

Slope is an important concept in mathematics because it helps us understand the relationship between two variables and how they change with respect to each other. It is also used in many real-life applications, such as calculating rates of change and predicting trends.

How is slope used in graphing?

In graphing, slope is used to determine the direction and steepness of a line. A positive slope indicates an upward trend, while a negative slope indicates a downward trend. The steeper the slope, the greater the change in the y-coordinate for a given change in the x-coordinate.

What is the difference between positive and negative slope?

Positive slope indicates an upward trend, where the y-coordinate increases as the x-coordinate increases. Negative slope indicates a downward trend, where the y-coordinate decreases as the x-coordinate increases. A horizontal line has a slope of 0, while a vertical line has an undefined slope.

How does slope relate to the equation of a line?

The slope of a line is represented by the coefficient of the x-term in the equation y = mx + b. It determines the rate of change of the line and can help us find other important characteristics of a line, such as the y-intercept.