Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Event and Sets Formulas help

nickar1172

Dec 11, 2013
Which formula's would you use to solve each set and please show the actual formulas please thank you for the help I really appreciate it as I need to know this for my final exam tomorrow, thank you!

a) solving for neither set A and neither set B

b) Solving for set A or Set B, but not both

c) Solving for set B given set A

d) Solving for set B given that he does not have Set A

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi again,

I probably need some more information. Are you simply asked to write these concepts mathematically, like $A \cap B$?

nickar1172

Dec 11, 2013
Hi again,

I probably need some more information. Are you simply asked to write these concepts mathematically, like $A \cap B$?
Yes that is exactly what I am talking about

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Yes that is exactly what I am talking about
Ok well we can use $A, A^c, B, B^c$ for referring to the sets and we can also use $\cup, \cap$. What do you get for the first one?

(by the way, $\cup$ means "or" and $\cap$ means "and")

nickar1172

Dec 11, 2013
If I new I wouldn't be asking the question.....
Postulates for Probability - P(A) >= 0, P(S) = 1
Special Addition Rule (mutually exclusive) - If A ∩ B = ∅, then P(A ∪ B) = P(A) + P(B)
General Addition Rule - P(A ∪ B) = P(A) + P(B) – P(A ∩ B)
Probability and Odds (odds of A to B) - a / (a + b)
Conditional Probability - P(A | B) = P(A ∩ B) / P(B) provided that P(B) ≠ 0
General Multiplication Rule - P(A ∩ B) = P(A) . P(B | A)
Special Multiplication Rule(Independent events) - P(A ∩ B) = P(A) . P(B)
Multiplication Rules - if event B is independent of event A, then P(B | A) = P(A)

according to any of these rules how do you answer those question because I have NO IDEA how to

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I didn't ask you what the correct answer was, rather what you think it is. If I just give you the answer that isn't helping you very much. We try to help you learn the material so you can answer it yourself. :)

Ok, (a) is $A^c \cap B^c$. Put into words this is "not A and not B". For (b), what is "A or B" in symbolic language? What is "A and B"?

nickar1172

Dec 11, 2013
I know what and or means I just need to know how to solve those questions, at this point it is not about "understanding" anything I just need to put this down on a formula sheet these answers so when I see this on the exam I know what to plug in like a machine, the entire semester has passed and I still don't know and I don't want to understand I just want to get an 80 on my test tomorrow so I don't fail the class all I need is those answered in mathematical notation if you can help me than I greatly appreciate it if not than no problem