Reverence of parents is a MUST ?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, most civilizations teach that it is important to revere your parents even though they may have divorced.
Saint
Taught by most ethics of different civilizations.

Is it necessary to revere your parents even though they divorce ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I will answer this question with a question. Is it necessary to revere your parents? I love them but they are human as I.

will you revere your parent just because they didn't divorce??

Originally posted by Saint

That depends (as others have already mentioned) on whether you revered them before they got divorced. After all, the amount of respect you give to your parents shouldn't change just because they have left each other (unless, of course, one of them has "left" you also, in that they have alienated theirself from you - in which case, I know I would have less respect for them).

Originally posted by Saint

I think this is a case of biological usefulness. The love one has for family and parents is critical to the success of the human species. Societies have adopted that into a generalised law. In most cases, parents are less to do with biological parents but the entities which offer you shelter and aid during development.

I think that it is important to remember that they are human as well, and capable of shortcomings. But you should be understanding of imperfections, as you would hope someone to be understanding of yours.

I don't think that divorce is the most important aspect of determining whether or not you respect someone.

In most cases, reverence for parents promotes a healthy, mutualistic relationship. In some cases, such as when parents are heavily abusive, a lack of reverence for the parents can be to the benefit of the child who may leave his/her parents for a better life.

All-in-all, revering parents isn't always necessarily, but it's most often a good idea, as long as you don't hold your parents to be infallible.

I think that reverence is the wrong word. They are infallible and this must be recognised.

However, one must recognise that they generally feed/ cloth/ look after you for the first 18 years of your life, and for which you must be unmeasurably grateful. They are generally the ones who love you the most.

1. Why is reverence of parents considered a must?

Reverence of parents is considered a must because parents are the ones who gave us life and have taken care of us since we were born. They have sacrificed so much for us and deserve our respect and gratitude.

2. What does reverence of parents entail?

Reverence of parents entails showing them respect, obedience, and gratitude. It means valuing their opinions and guidance, and treating them with love and kindness.

3. Is it important to show reverence to both parents?

Yes, it is important to show reverence to both parents. Both parents play a significant role in our lives and deserve equal respect and gratitude.

4. What are the benefits of showing reverence to parents?

Showing reverence to parents can lead to a stronger and more loving relationship with them. It can also improve our overall character and make us more grateful and respectful individuals.

5. How can one show reverence to parents?

One can show reverence to parents by listening to them, following their advice, expressing gratitude, and treating them with love and kindness. Additionally, small gestures such as helping with household chores or spending quality time with them can also demonstrate reverence.