Even and odd function question

In summary, to show that the only function which is both even and odd is f(x)=0, we must prove that any other function with a non-zero coefficient is either odd, even, or neither. This can be done through proof by exhaustion, considering all possible cases (positive, negative, fraction). Alternatively, we can start by assuming that f(x) is not 0 for all x and then proceed with the proof.
mindauggas

Homework Statement

Show that the only function which is both even and odd is [itex]f(x)=0[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Since [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] is [itex]f(x)=0x[/itex] it is not hard to show that it is odd and even. In order to complete the proof I need to show that this is the only funcion. I know intuitively that if in [itex]f(x)=Ax[/itex] [itex]A\neq0[/itex] then the function is always either odd, even or neither. How should I complete the proof? What should I write?

Maybe: "Since, it is obvious that if [itex]A\neq0[/itex] the function is either ... " But is it really that obvious? Should I use proof by exhaustion and show that in all posible cases this is true (when A is positive, negative, fraction)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If a function f is both odd and even, then f(-x)=f(x) and f(-x)=-f(x), so...

hi mindauggas! :smile:

start "suppose f(x) is not 0 for all x, then …" :wink:

Related to Even and odd function question

1. What is an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function where the output value remains the same when the input value is replaced by its negative equivalent. It can be represented as f(x) = f(-x). Graphically, an even function is symmetric about the y-axis.

2. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a mathematical function where the output value changes sign when the input value is replaced by its negative equivalent. It can be represented as f(x) = -f(-x). Graphically, an odd function is symmetric about the origin.

3. What is the difference between even and odd functions?

The main difference between even and odd functions is their symmetry. Even functions are symmetric about the y-axis, while odd functions are symmetric about the origin. Additionally, even functions have only even powers of x in their equation, while odd functions have only odd powers of x.

4. How can I determine if a function is even or odd?

To determine if a function is even or odd, you can use the substitution method. Replace x with -x in the function and simplify. If the resulting function is the same as the original, it is even. If the resulting function is the negative of the original, it is odd.

5. Are all functions even or odd?

No, not all functions are even or odd. Some functions do not have symmetry about the y-axis or the origin, and therefore cannot be classified as even or odd. Also, some functions may have both even and odd components, making them neither even nor odd.