Evanescent wave coupling between two prisms

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of evanescent waves and their physical properties, specifically in regards to a prism and the interaction with a second prism. The decaying electric field at the interface and the emission of light are also mentioned, with questions about the physical causes of these phenomena. The conversation also touches on the analogy of quantum tunneling and the visualization of evanescent propagation using a rectangular waveguide. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and lack of understanding surrounding evanescent waves.
sfm29
Hello all,
I have recently encountered a problem in my understanding of how evanescent waves work. The problem will refer to the diagram found at http://www.popularscience.co.uk/features/nimtz2.jpg (while the evanescent wave isn't drawn this is the only example i could find).

So physically light enters the prism and is reflected back due to the incident angle being greater than the critical angle. Due to the boundary conditions put forward by Maxwell the parallel component of the electric field at the interface must be zero. This gives rise to a decaying electric field.

First question : what is this decaying field physically? surface vibrations of electrons?

This decaying field is then intercepted by a second prism and then light is seen to be emitted from the second prism.

Second question : What physically causes these photons? the evanescent field interacting with electrons at the second interface causing emission of light?

I understand that my confusion comes from a lack of understanding of an evanescent field probably. Though I would be happy with that if I hadn't already learned quantum tunneling as an undergraduate! (an analogy to this problem)

Thanks for any help you can give in interpreting equations into a physical meaning my brain can comprehend!
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The evanescencent field is one that can't propagate freely because of the way it is being formed.

In the case of the prism, the field just outside the prism is oscillating at the same frequency as the light in the glass. But instead of propagating in space at some angle away from the glass, it just hugs the glass and moves along it at the reduced speed of light in the glass. As a function of distance perpendicular to the prism it decays exponentially. This means the light can be coupled into the second prism with varying intensity by changing the size of the gap.

Evanescent propagation is best visualized using a rectangular waveguide. The lowest mode is the lowest frequency that can propagate down the guide. If you reduce the frequency a small amount below that, the wave will still go into the guide but it will decay exponentially.

The wave trying to leave the prism past the TIR angle is in the same situation as a cutoff waveguide.

Just to add, frustrated TIR can also been seen by grasping a glass full of water and looking down into the water: where the ridges of your fingerprints contact the glass you will see skin and in the valleys you will see what looks like a mirrored surface.

Related to Evanescent wave coupling between two prisms

1. What is evanescent wave coupling between two prisms?

Evanescent wave coupling is a phenomenon in which two prisms are placed close to each other, allowing light to propagate from one prism to the other through an evanescent wave. This coupling occurs when the light is incident at an angle greater than the critical angle, causing total internal reflection. The evanescent wave extends beyond the surface of the first prism and can interact with the second prism, allowing for energy transfer between the two prisms.

2. How does evanescent wave coupling work?

Evanescent wave coupling works by utilizing the evanescent wave, which is an electromagnetic wave that decays exponentially as it propagates away from the surface of a material. When two prisms are placed close to each other, the evanescent wave from one prism can interact with the other prism, allowing for energy transfer and coupling between the two prisms.

3. What are the applications of evanescent wave coupling?

Evanescent wave coupling has various applications in the field of optics and photonics. It is commonly used in sensors and biosensors, where the evanescent wave can interact with molecules or particles on the surface of the prism, allowing for detection and analysis. It is also used in optical waveguides and couplers for optical communication and signal processing.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect evanescent wave coupling?

The angle of incidence plays a crucial role in evanescent wave coupling. The evanescent wave is only present when the light is incident at an angle greater than the critical angle, which is determined by the refractive indices of the two prisms. Changing the angle of incidence can control the strength of the evanescent wave, affecting the amount of energy transfer and coupling between the two prisms.

5. What are the advantages of evanescent wave coupling compared to other coupling methods?

Evanescent wave coupling offers several advantages over other coupling methods, such as direct coupling or prism coupling. It allows for non-contact and non-destructive coupling, as the light does not need to physically pass through the prisms. It also offers a higher degree of control over the coupling strength, making it suitable for various applications where precise control is required.