Evaluating the Complex Integral

In summary: This means that you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to evaluate the integral. In summary, the given integral can be evaluated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus since the function has an anti-derivative in the complex numbers. This means that the integral will depend only on the starting and ending points, which are given as the cycloid parameterized by \theta = 0 to \theta = 2\pi.
Stumped1
\(\displaystyle \int(z^2+1)^2dz\)
Evaluate this over the cycloid\(\displaystyle x=a(\theta-sin\theta)\) and \(\displaystyle y=a(1-cos\theta)\) for \(\displaystyle \theta =0\) to \(\displaystyle \theta = 2\pi\)

Am I on the right track, or do I need to approach this a different way?

for \(\displaystyle z^2\) we have \(\displaystyle (x+iy)^2\), so \(\displaystyle x^2-y^2 + i2xy\) for the real part.

\(\displaystyle a^2(\theta-sin\theta)-a^2(1-cos\theta)^2\)
\(\displaystyle a^2[\theta^2-1 -2sin\theta + sin^2\theta -1 + 2cos\theta - \cos^2\theta ]\)

Aside from taking \(\displaystyle -cos^2\theta = sin^2\theta -1\) and consolidating the \(\displaystyle sin^2\theta\)

Not sure what else I can do to simplify this.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Stumped said:
Evaluate this over the cycloid\(\displaystyle x=a(\theta-sin\theta)\) and \(\displaystyle y=a(1-cos\theta)\) for \(\displaystyle \theta =0\) to \(\displaystyle \theta = 2\pi\)

for \(\displaystyle z^2\) we have \(\displaystyle (x+iy)^2\), so \(\displaystyle x^2-y^2 + i2xy\) for the real part.

\(\displaystyle a^2[\theta^2-1 -2sin\theta + sin^2\theta -1 + 2cos\theta - \cos^2\theta ]\)

Aside from taking \(\displaystyle -cos^2\theta = sin^2\theta -1\) and consolidating the \(\displaystyle sin^2\theta\)

Thanks for any help!

Is your contour even closed?

Prove It said:
Is your contour even closed?

Seems that it is since it will be one rotation of the cycloid, since it is parameterized by \(\displaystyle 0 \leq\theta \leq 2\pi\)

If the contour is closed and your function doesn't have any singular points (which this doesn't) then the integral is equal to 0 by Cauchy's Theorem.

However I am not so sure that this is closed... See here...

If this is not closed, continue w/ my approach?

Stumped said:
If this is not closed, continue w/ my approach?

My understanding is that all complex integration requires having a closed contour, so if this is what you have been given I would assume that it is closed. I'd advise you to check with your lecturer to be sure.

Stumped said:

Thanks for any help!

The fact that f(z) is analytic means that its integral along a path depends only from the starting and ending points. Here f(z) is anayltic, so that the integral is...

$\displaystyle \int_{C} f(z)\ d z = \int_{0}^{2\ \pi\ a} (1+x^{2})^{2}\ dx\ (1)$

The details are left to You...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Stumped said:

Thanks for any help!

Hint : the function you are integrating has an anti-derivative in $\mathbb{C}$.

Related to Evaluating the Complex Integral

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function along a complex path rather than a real number line. It is an extension of the concept of integration in calculus.

Why is evaluating complex integrals important?

Evaluating complex integrals is important because it allows us to solve problems in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and fluid dynamics.

What are the different methods for evaluating complex integrals?

There are several methods for evaluating complex integrals, including the substitution method, the residue theorem, the Cauchy integral formula, and the method of contour integration. Each method is useful for different types of integrals and can be chosen based on the complexity of the integral.

What are the key properties of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have several key properties, including linearity, additivity, and the Cauchy-Riemann conditions. Linearity means that the integral of a sum or difference of two functions is equal to the sum or difference of the integrals of the individual functions. Additivity means that the integral over a closed contour is equal to the sum of the integrals over the individual contours that make up the closed contour. The Cauchy-Riemann conditions are necessary for a function to be analytic and have a complex integral.

How do I know if my complex integral has a closed-form solution?

Unfortunately, there is no general method for determining if a complex integral has a closed-form solution. In most cases, it requires experience and knowledge of various methods for evaluating complex integrals. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a closed-form solution, and numerical methods may need to be used instead.