Evaluating/Solving Logarithmic expressions/equations

• Thread starter wvcaudill2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
So, x = 6 ^ 0.83In summary, to evaluate the expression "log base 8 of 16", you can use the definition of logarithms to set the expression equal to x, and then use the laws of exponents to solve for x. For more complex expressions, you can apply properties of logarithms, such as the product and power rules, to simplify and solve for the variable. Be careful not to exponentiate until there is only one log expression on each side of the equality.
wvcaudill2

Homework Statement

Evaluate the expression "log base 8 of 16"

Homework Equations

Don't know of any

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin. I have read the textbook chapter on logarithms three times over, and I am now more thoroughly confused than ever. My textbooks seems to be skipping steps and citing the "Def. of Logarithm" as the reasoning.

For the problem above, my textbook says to set the expression equal to x, and then magically gets 8^x=16. After this, it gets an answer of 4/3, without mentioning how. I assume it wants me to look at the problem and be able to see that 8^(4/3)=16, but I don't think I can do that with all problems. I am confused as to why you set the expression equal to x, and then how the expression is rearanged to get 8^x.

Can someone please walk me through this problem without skipping any steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
wvcaudill2 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the expression "log base 8 of 16"

Homework Equations

Don't know of any

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin. I have read the textbook chapter on logarithms three times over, and I am now more thoroughly confused than ever. My textbooks seems to be skipping steps and citing the "Def. of Logarithm" as the reasoning.

For the problem above, my textbook says to set the expression equal to x, and then magically gets 8^x=16.
This isn't magic. They are using the definition of the logarithm, which says:
x = logay is equivalent to y = ax

(There are some restrictions on y and a that I have omitted.)

For your expression, you have x = log8 16, which is equivalent to 16 = 8x. There are no missing steps; the book is using the defining relationship between a log equation and the equivalent exponential equation.

It's useful to think of the log, base a, of a number as the exponent on a that produces that number. So if x is the log, base 8, of 16, then 8x = 16.

Continuing the problem requires knowledge of the laws of exponents, one of which is that (am)n = amn. 16 is a power of 2, and so is 8. Another property is that am = an ==> m = n.

You have 16 = 8x, so 24 = (23)x.

Can you finish the problem now?

wvcaudill2 said:
After this, it gets an answer of 4/3, without mentioning how. I assume it wants me to look at the problem and be able to see that 8^(4/3)=16, but I don't think I can do that with all problems. I am confused as to why you set the expression equal to x, and then how the expression is rearanged to get 8^x.

Can someone please walk me through this problem without skipping any steps?

Thanks, I see how to get 4/3 now.

What about this problem?

log base 6 of x = (.5 log base 6 of 9)+(.33 log base 6 of 27)

How do I get rid of the logs? Since they have the same base, can I just divide all the terms by log base 6 to cancel everything out?

wvcaudill2 said:
Thanks, I see how to get 4/3 now.

What about this problem?

log base 6 of x = (.5 log base 6 of 9)+(.33 log base 6 of 27)

How do I get rid of the logs? Since they have the same base, can I just divide all the terms by log base 6 to cancel everything out?
Absolutely not! log6 is not a number -- it's a function

What properties of logs (any base) do you know? LIst the ones you know and we can go from there.

Well, I think this is the one applicable to this problem:

Product: log base b of mn = log base b of m + log base b of n

What do I do with the numbers in front of the logs though?

Ok, that's what I needed to solve this problem. Thanks!

Remember not to exponentiate unless you have only one log on one or both sides of the equal sign. Dunno why, but I always used to forget about that...

You can exponentiate whenever you want as long as you keep all the properties of exponentiation and logarithms straight

Office_Shredder said:
You can exponentiate whenever you want as long as you keep all the properties of exponentiation and logarithms straight

The difficulty in this prompts many to advise against exponentiating until exactly one log expression is on each side of the equality. But yeah, you can...

Another solution is to raise both sides to a power of 6.

6 ^ (log base 6 of x) = 6 ^ [(.5 log base 6 of 9)+(.33 log base 6 of 27)]
Since 6^x and log base 6 of x are inverse functions, then
x = [ 6 ^ (.5 log base 6 of 9) ] [ 6 ^ (.33 log base 6 of 27) ]

Using the Power Rule for Logs ..

x = [ 9 ^ 0.5 ] [ 27 ^ 0.33 ]
x = 3 x 3
x = 9

Related to Evaluating/Solving Logarithmic expressions/equations

1. What is a logarithmic expression?

A logarithmic expression is a mathematical expression that represents the inverse of an exponential expression. It is written in the form logb(x), where b is the base and x is the argument. It represents the power to which the base must be raised to equal the argument.

2. How do you evaluate a logarithmic expression?

To evaluate a logarithmic expression, you need to use the properties of logarithms. If the base of the logarithm is the same as the base of the argument, then the logarithm can be simplified to the power that the base is raised to. If the base is different, then you can use the change of base formula to convert it to a logarithm with a different base. After simplifying, you can plug in the value of the argument and solve for the power.

3. What is the difference between a logarithmic expression and an exponential expression?

A logarithmic expression is the inverse of an exponential expression. In an exponential expression, the base is raised to a power to equal the argument. In a logarithmic expression, the base is the power to which the base must be raised to equal the argument. In other words, logarithms and exponents "undo" each other.

4. How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you need to use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. Then, you can use algebraic methods to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, you can solve for the variable by raising both sides of the equation to the power of the base.

5. What are some real-life applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in many fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and economics. They are used to model exponential growth and decay, measure sound intensity and earthquake magnitude, calculate pH levels, and solve compound interest problems. They are also used in computer science and data analysis to measure data in a more manageable way.