Evaluating indication of the wattmeter in three-phase system

In summary, the conversation discusses a three-phase system with various energy sinks and the process for obtaining the indication of the wattmeter W. The participants also touch upon the use of Kirchhoff's law and the importance of drawing a phasor diagram to solve the problem. The final step is to determine the voltage across R and use it in the mesh with the voltmeter to find the final solution. The participants also mention the need for further clarification and understanding of phasor diagrams to complete the problem.
pizzico85
Member warned about posting without the HW template
Hi all, I am new to this forum and I hope you can help me.

I have the following three-phase system where I have to evaluate the indication of the wattmeter W. Available data is: V = 380 V, R = 12 Ohm, R' = 120 Ohm.

IMG_0087.jpg

Can you make me understand the process for obtaining W?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 5 energy sinks here. Three identical resistors, one in each phase---that's fortunate, it maintains balance! There's a fourth resistor, and a 0.8pf load of Q=600VAr .

It looks like the wattmeter measures the power in R', in addition to the power in one phase of a balanced load.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I don't know how to calculate V' or I'.

I am completely in trouble.

I would like to understand how to proceed step by step to solve the problem.

Last edited:
Since you know V, you should be able to calculate the line current going into that box on the right.

NascentOxygen said:
Since you know V, you should be able to calculate the line current going into that box on the right.

OK, the line current going into the box should be the following:

Since
Q = sqrt(3) * V * I * sin(phi)
cos(phi)
= 0,8 => phi = 36,87°

Then
I = Q / ( sqrt(3) * V * sin(phi) ) = 1,52

I = I1 = I2 = I3 because the load is balanced without considering R'.

Is it correct? If so, how should I proceed?

Once line current is known, you can determine the voltage across R. You'll need to start drawing a phasor diagram.

NascentOxygen said:
Once line current is known, you can determine the voltage across R. You'll need to start drawing a phasor diagram.
OK, maybe voltage across R should be the following:

Since
R = R1 = R2 = R3
I = I1 = I2 = I3

Then
Vr = V1 = V2 = V3 = R * I = 12 Ohm * 1,52 A = 18,24 V

Now I should be able to use Kirchhoff for tensions in the mesh where the voltmeter V is present, this way (V12 refers to the voltage of the three-phase system):

V12 - V1 - V + V2 = 0

Since V1 and V2 are equal:
V12 = V => V12 = 380 V
and since the three-phase system is symmetrical:
V12 = V23 = V31 = 380 V

Is it correct? If so, how should I proceed?

Time to start putting this on a phasor diagram, I think.

No too much help.

pizzico85 said:
No too much help.
Are you able to draw a phasor diagram? Decide which phasor you will use as a reference, then draw others in relation to it. This is the type of problem where a phasor diagram is essential, IMO.

Can you explain in words how you will go about finishing this problem?

If you have not learned about phasor diagrams, I expect you will ask further questions.

Related to Evaluating indication of the wattmeter in three-phase system

What is a wattmeter and how does it work?

A wattmeter is a measuring instrument used to measure the electric power in a circuit. It works by measuring the product of voltage and current in a circuit, using either an analog or digital display.

What is the purpose of evaluating the indication of a wattmeter in a three-phase system?

Evaluating the indication of a wattmeter in a three-phase system helps to determine the power consumption and efficiency of the system. It also helps to identify any imbalances or abnormalities in the system.

How do you interpret the readings of a wattmeter in a three-phase system?

The readings of a wattmeter in a three-phase system can be interpreted by understanding the power triangle concept. The magnitude of the wattmeter reading indicates the total power in the system, while the phase angle between the voltage and current readings represents the power factor.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a wattmeter in a three-phase system?

The accuracy of a wattmeter in a three-phase system can be affected by factors such as harmonics, imbalance in voltage or current, and incorrect wiring or connections. Environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can also impact the accuracy of the wattmeter.

What are some alternatives to using a wattmeter in a three-phase system?

Some alternatives to using a wattmeter in a three-phase system include using a power analyzer or a power quality analyzer. These instruments provide more detailed and comprehensive measurements of power consumption and can also analyze other factors such as voltage and current harmonics.