Evaluating Improper Integrals: Convergence or Divergence?

In summary, to evaluate the convergence or divergence of the integral 1/(x^0.25 - 2) dx between 500 to 16, we can make the substitution y = x^(1/4) and use the limit comparison test to find that it diverges.
brunette15
I have the integral 1/(x^0.25 - 2) dx between 500 to 16, and am trying to find whether it converges or diverges.

I have sketched the graph and noticed that their is an asymptote at x=16 (hence why the integral is improper for these boundaries).

I am now trying to evaluate the limits to see if it converges or diverges but I am unsure how to approach this. Does anyone have any suggestions or hints? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
I have the integral 1/(x^0.25 - 2) dx between 500 to 16, and am trying to find whether it converges or diverges.

I have sketched the graph and noticed that their is an asymptote at x=16 (hence why the integral is improper for these boundaries).

I am now trying to evaluate the limits to see if it converges or diverges but I am unsure how to approach this. Does anyone have any suggestions or hints? Thanks!
I would start by making the substitution $y = x^{1/4}$, so that $x=y^4$ and $dx = 4y^3dy.$

brunette15 said:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{16}^{500}{ \frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{x} - 2} \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \int_{16}^{500}{ \frac{4\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3}{4\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} - 2 \right) } \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 4 \int_{16}^{500}{ \left[ \frac{\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3}{ \sqrt[4]{x} - 2 } \right] \frac{1}{4 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 } \, \mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

Now let $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sqrt[4]{x} - 2 \implies \mathrm{d}u = \frac{1}{4 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 } \, \mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$, and noting that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u(500) = \sqrt[4]{500} - 2 \end{align*}$ and as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \to 16 , u \to 0 \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 4 \int_{16}^{500}{ \left[ \frac{\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3}{\sqrt[4]{x} - 2} \right] \frac{1}{4 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 } \,\mathrm{d}x } &= 4 \int_0^{\sqrt[4]{500} - 2}{ \frac{\left( u + 2 \right) ^3}{u} \, \mathrm{d}u } \\ &= 4\int_0^{\sqrt[4]{500} - 2}{\frac{u^3 + 6u^2 + 12u + 8}{u}\,\mathrm{d}u} \\ &= 4 \lim_{b \to 0 }\int_b^{\sqrt[4]{500}-2}{ u^2 + 6u + 12 + \frac{8}{u}\,\mathrm{d}u } \end{align*}$

Can you finish?

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{16}^{500}{ \frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{x} - 2} \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \int_{16}^{500}{ \frac{4\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3}{4\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} - 2 \right) } \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 4 \int_{16}^{500}{ \left[ \frac{\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3}{ \sqrt[4]{x} - 2 } \right] \frac{1}{4 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 } \, \mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

Now let $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sqrt[4]{x} - 2 \implies \mathrm{d}u = \frac{1}{4 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 } \, \mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$, and noting that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u(500) = \sqrt[4]{500} - 2 \end{align*}$ and as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \to 16 , u \to 0 \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 4 \int_{16}^{500}{ \left[ \frac{\left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3}{\sqrt[4]{x} - 2} \right] \frac{1}{4 \left( \sqrt[4]{x} \right) ^3 } \,\mathrm{d}x } &= 4 \int_0^{\sqrt[4]{500} - 2}{ \frac{\left( u + 2 \right) ^3}{u} \, \mathrm{d}u } \\ &= 4\int_0^{\sqrt[4]{500} - 2}{\frac{u^3 + 6u^2 + 12u + 8}{u}\,\mathrm{d}u} \\ &= 4 \lim_{b \to 0 }\int_b^{\sqrt[4]{500}-2}{ u^2 + 6u + 12 + \frac{8}{u}\,\mathrm{d}u } \end{align*}$

Can you finish?

Yes! Thankyou!

Related to Evaluating Improper Integrals: Convergence or Divergence?

What is convergence or divergence?

Convergence or divergence refers to the behavior of a mathematical or scientific series as its terms approach infinity. If the series approaches a finite limit, it is said to converge. If it does not approach a finite limit, it is said to diverge.

How is convergence or divergence tested?

Convergence or divergence can be tested using various methods, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and determining if they approach a finite limit or not.

Why is convergence or divergence important?

Convergence or divergence is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to determine the behavior of series and sequences. It helps us understand the limits and boundaries of various mathematical and scientific concepts, and can be used to make predictions and draw conclusions.

What are some real-world applications of convergence or divergence?

Convergence or divergence can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the stability of a physical system, the efficiency of an algorithm, or the profitability of a financial investment.

How does convergence or divergence relate to infinity?

Convergence or divergence is closely related to infinity, as it describes the behavior of a series as its terms approach infinity. In some cases, a series may converge to infinity, meaning that its terms become infinitely large but still approach a finite limit. In other cases, a series may diverge to infinity, meaning that its terms become infinitely large and do not approach a finite limit.