Handedness in the PF Community: What's Your Preference?

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about handedness and the possibility of genetics or training influencing it. The participants also mentioned a previous poll on the topic and a current one on the forum.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
As an adjunct to the Handedness thread, I thought it would be interesting to find out just how the PF community sorts our in this respect.

Biology news on Phys.org
I am right-handed. It's unclear if that's because of my genes, or simply due to training: I am quite proficient left-handed, and even perform some tasks better with my left hand than my right hand.

Janus said:
As an adjunct to the Handedness thread, I thought it would be interesting to find out just how the PF community sorts our in this respect.
Janus, I wonder, did you have a poll on handedness in 2003?

Sorry Hurkyl, I was just doing a little digging on the last time we discussed handedness on PF. (see date on Janus' post). I had just deleted my post here and was going to PM to Janus, but you added your post in the meantime.

If you haven't seen it yet, we presently have a poll on this subject in the Gen'l Discussion topic.

Last edited:

1. What is handedness and why is it important?

Handedness refers to an individual's preference for using either their left or right hand for performing tasks. It is important because it can impact motor skills, language development, and even brain structure.

2. Is handedness determined by genetics or environment?

Both genetics and environment play a role in determining handedness. Studies have shown that genetics may account for 25-50% of handedness, while environmental factors such as cultural influences and learning experiences also play a role.

3. Can handedness change over time?

While most people remain consistent in their dominant hand throughout their lifetime, some individuals may switch their dominant hand due to injury or other factors. However, this is uncommon and typically only occurs during early childhood.

4. Are there differences between left-handed and right-handed individuals?

Left-handed individuals may have advantages in certain activities such as spatial reasoning and creativity, while right-handed individuals may have better grip strength and motor skills. However, these differences are minor and both left-handed and right-handed individuals are capable of performing the same tasks.

5. Can being ambidextrous affect brain function?

Ambidexterity, or the ability to use both hands equally well, is a rare trait that may indicate a more flexible brain. Some studies have shown that ambidextrous individuals may have a larger corpus callosum (the bundle of nerve fibers connecting the two hemispheres of the brain), which could improve communication between the two sides of the brain. However, more research is needed to fully understand the impact of ambidexterity on brain function.