Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Evaluating a variable expression 2

rodgerst414

Feb 11, 2013
Evaluate the variable expression when a=3,b=1 and c=-2

b^2-4ac. This is new to me so please explain how to do this.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Okay, what you want to do is let the 3 variables take on the given values, and put these into the expression you are asked to evaluate:

This would give us:

$(1)^2-4(3)(-2)$

Now, can you compute this expression following the rules of arithmetic?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
For future topics, I highly recommend using a title that briefly describes the problem. For example, a good title for this topic is "Evaluating a variable expression". This lets our helpers know exactly what kind of problem is being discussed.

rodgerst414

Feb 11, 2013
For future topics, I highly recommend using a title that briefly describes the problem. For example, a good title for this topic is "Evaluating a variable expression". This lets our helpers know exactly what kind of problem is being discussed.
how do you make more posts.

rodgerst414

Feb 11, 2013

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Follow the same procedure you used to create this topic. You are welcome to create as many topics as there are problems with which you need help.

We do request that as you learn from the help given in previous problems that you apply this to subsequent problems, and show what you think you should do. This allows us to see how you are progressing, and what things may need to be made more clear. (Smile)

All of the staff and helpers (official or otherwise) are glad to help others gain a better understanding of mathematics.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
By the way, were you able to complete the problem you posted in this topic? Can you show your work? Giving feedback is a great way to get the best help possible. This way we can ensure you are doing it correctly, and if not, we will be able to tell you why.