I have enrolled in a Trigonometry Class in College.

In summary: Chords of Triangles, and the Inverse Square Law.In summary, a student is taking a Trigonometry class at a small college without receiving any credit. They are taking the class on their own free will and it will not affect their school record. However, the class will not appear in the student's school record because it is not a course that the student is taking for credit.
zeronem
Anyways as I said, I put myself in a Trigonometry class. I got into this Continued Learning Program at a Small College in which they will let me take Trigonometry and I will not get any Credits from it, therefore they will not put this class in my School Records. I am basically taking it on my own free will and it will do me some in Knowledge but for School Record, it will not affect it. Anyways, I got finished taking Algebra II in High School. I ACED the Exam with a 100. So I will be taking Calculus next year.

What I need to know is, How much do they cover in a typical Week in a Trigonometry class? Since I am going to this class tommorrow for the first time when it started Last Week. Can anyone Give me any specific areas of Trigonometry that they have covered on there first week of learning?

I felt I should Post this Thread in here, because i am asking for help. Please forgive me if it should be in the Mathematics Topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by zeronem
Anyways as I said, I put myself in a Trigonometry class. I got into this Continued Learning Program at a Small College in which they will let me take Trigonometry and I will not get any Credits from it, therefore they will not put this class in my School Records. I am basically taking it on my own free will and it will do me some in Knowledge but for School Record, it will not affect it. Anyways, I got finished taking Algebra II in High School. I ACED the Exam with a 100. So I will be taking Calculus next year.

What I need to know is, How much do they cover in a typical Week in a Trigonometry class? Since I am going to this class tommorrow for the first time when it started Last Week. Can anyone Give me any specific areas of Trigonometry that they have covered on there first week of learning?

I felt I should Post this Thread in here, because i am asking for help. Please forgive me if it should be in the Mathematics Topic.

I took that class years ago and am now taking calc 2. Anyways...i remember back then a lot of it was all about SOH CAH TOA! I must have learned something in there but there's a lot more you'll solve for. Basically algebra is mostly calc1 and trig is calc 2/3.
Youll do fine! Good luck!
Dx :wink:

Trig was an enjoyable course. If you have an imagination you will see all kinds of practical uses for it. You have to do some memorization, as will all math type courses, but I believe (and hope) that you will have a great time.
Good luck

How much more is there to Trigonometry than what HS teaches you?

Originally posted by zeronem
What I need to know is, How much do they cover in a typical Week in a Trigonometry class?

That depends on whether or not this is a "summer course", as opposed to a regular 15-week semester course. The only way you can tell for sure is to get a copy of the syllabus and find out what was done.

No, you're fine here.

Yes it is a Summer Coarse. Ill be taking 2 hours of it everyday, For this month. From the looks of the replies in here, I get the reaction to think that Trigonometry is a piece of Geometrical Algebraic Cake. Although I seemed to hit a bump. They ran out of Trigonometry Text Books. A Ladie told me that they were going to make Copies of the Text Book, and that I should come at a certain time to pick up a copie. Well, I went to the College that certain time to pick up a made copie. Anyways, The Teachers their knew they were out of Trigonometry textbooks, but there were no copies made of the book.

Tommorrow I will attend the class with my Mathematical Neccessities and I will be the only one not to have a Text book intill they get a copie of it. I have bought and read many books on Mathematics. One book has 6000 years of Mathematics from the Beginning to now. I have been looking over the Trigonometry area of the Book and I was Familiar with SOH CAH TOA. Though I will have to Look at the other Formulas found in the Trigonometry Section and learn to Understand them. The Class is one week ahead of I, the guy I met at the area I was going to get a copie of the Trig Text Book said, "Your going to need to a Calculator tommorrow". I was going to bring my Calculator tomorrow anyways. So Judging from his Calculator statement, they are really not that far into the Subject and that they are just now Exploring the ways of Using Calculators to calculate Trigonometrical Problems.

Last edited:
Please check my answers to the followign Trigonometric equations.
When you look at the Equations you must mark see if it is True or False.

5. cos (-1000) sec 1000 = -1
Answer: FALSE

6. tan (-160) = - tan 20,
Answer: TRUE

7. tan (-100) cot 100 = -1
Answer: True

8. sin(-200) csc 20 = -1

9. sin (-60)/sin (-30) = cot 30

10. 1/cot (-[the]) = - tan [the]

11. sin² (-[the]) - cos² [the] = -1
Answer: False

12. cot² (45) + 1 = csc² (-45)
Answer: False

13. cos (-130) is a positive number

Last edited:
zeronem,

I differ from you on #8,12,13.

#8: Note that -200o=160o. sin(160o)>0.

#12: Note that csc2(-45o)=csc2(45o), by virtue of the fact that you are squaring the negative number.

#13: Note that -130o=230o, and cos(230o)<0.

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships with angles and sides. It is used to solve problems involving measurements of angles and distances.

2. How is Trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, navigation, astronomy, and architecture. It is used to calculate heights and distances, design structures, and navigate ships and airplanes.

3. What are the basic concepts in Trigonometry?

The basic concepts in Trigonometry include angles, right triangles, trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent), and their properties. Other important concepts include the unit circle, radians, and inverse trigonometric functions.

4. What skills are needed to excel in Trigonometry?

To excel in Trigonometry, one should have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and basic math skills. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as the ability to visualize and manipulate geometric shapes.

5. How can I prepare for a Trigonometry class in college?

To prepare for a Trigonometry class in college, you can review and practice basic algebra and geometry concepts, familiarize yourself with trigonometric functions and their properties, and work on developing your problem-solving skills. You can also seek help from online resources, attend review sessions, and discuss with your professor for any additional materials or study tips.