Making an electromagnetic motor

In summary, Corey is working with a partner to make an electromagnetic motor run and is wondering if there is a way for it to pick up heavier objects. They have been given 2 metres of wire, two magnets, and are trying to find a way for the motor to pick up the most weight without exceeding 6 or 7 volts. Corey is unsure what to use as a frame or axle to reduce friction and lift the most weight using only 5 or 6 volts.
cor_18
Hi, a partner and I are making an electromagnetic motor run however is there a way for it to pick up heavier objects? We've been given 2 metres of wire, two magnets and we're trying to establish a way that the motor can pick up the most amount of weight without going over 6 or 7 volts.
Thanks in advance!
Corey A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find this a bit confusing. Are you making an electromagnet or a motor?

I'm actually supposed to be making a motor however I am making a motor run by the use of two magnets. I will be joining an axle to it to lift pennys up. I'm just not sure what i can use as a frame or an axle to reduce friction or to lift the best amount of weight (pennys) by only using around 5 or 6 volts. ( 9 volts might chew up the wires)
Thanks!
Corey

1. How does an electromagnetic motor work?

An electromagnetic motor works by using the principle of electromagnetism, where electricity and magnetism are interrelated. The motor has a wire coil that is wrapped around a metal core, creating a magnetic field when electricity flows through it. This magnetic field interacts with a permanent magnet, causing the coil to rotate and create motion.

2. What materials are needed to make an electromagnetic motor?

The materials needed to make an electromagnetic motor include a battery or power source, wire, a metal rod or core, a permanent magnet, and a source of rotation, such as a wooden dowel or axle. Other materials may also be used depending on the specific design of the motor.

3. How can the speed and strength of an electromagnetic motor be increased?

The speed and strength of an electromagnetic motor can be increased by increasing the voltage or current of the power source, increasing the number of wire coils around the core, and using a stronger permanent magnet. Additionally, using a smaller core diameter and reducing friction in the motor can also increase its efficiency.

4. Can an electromagnetic motor be used for practical applications?

Yes, electromagnetic motors have many practical applications, such as in household appliances, industrial machinery, and transportation vehicles. They are also used in generators to produce electricity and in electric motors for powering various devices.

5. What are the advantages of using an electromagnetic motor?

There are several advantages of using an electromagnetic motor, including its high efficiency, low maintenance, and ability to control speed and direction of rotation. It also produces less noise and pollution compared to other types of motors. Additionally, the use of electricity as a power source makes it a more sustainable option compared to fossil fuel-powered motors.