Understanding the Goldstone Boson: Exploring the Nambu-Goldstone Boson Theory

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boson
In summary, there is a question about whether a Goldstone boson is the same as a Nambu-Goldstone boson, but it is confirmed that they are the same thing and a curious fact is that a majoron is a type of Goldstone boson with spin 0.
meteor
Hope some of the resident experts in particle physics can respond to it, because I'm unable to find a response to the question:
Is a Goldstone boson the same thing that a Nambu-Goldstone boson?
I suspect that is true because both particles are referred as massless, but I prefer the confirmation of some knowledgeable person

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I finally found that they are the same thing.
Curious fact: a majoron is a kind of Goldstone Boson
Goldstone bosons have spin 0.

Originally posted by meteor
Never mind, I finally found that they are the same thing.
Curious fact: a majoron is a kind of Goldstone Boson
Goldstone bosons have spin 0.

A majoron is a goldstone boson by construction since it comes from the spontaneous breaking of a symmmetry (as any goldstone boson).

What is a Goldstone boson?

A Goldstone boson is a type of elementary particle that is predicted by the Goldstone theorem. It is a quantum excitation of a field that is associated with the spontaneous breaking of a continuous symmetry.

How was the Goldstone boson discovered?

The Goldstone boson was first predicted in 1962 by Yoichiro Nambu, and later independently by Jeffrey Goldstone, Yoichiro Nambu, and Steven Weinberg in 1964. It was first experimentally observed in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN.

What role does the Goldstone boson play in the Standard Model of particle physics?

In the Standard Model, the Goldstone boson is responsible for giving mass to other particles through the Higgs mechanism. It is also a crucial component in explaining the origin of electroweak symmetry breaking.

What are the properties of the Goldstone boson?

The Goldstone boson has zero spin and zero charge, making it a scalar particle. It is also a massless particle, and its interactions are governed by the Higgs field. It is also unstable and quickly decays into other particles.

What are the potential applications of the Goldstone boson?

The Goldstone boson has potential applications in understanding the structure of matter, as well as in the development of new technologies such as quantum computing. It may also play a role in the search for new physics beyond the Standard Model.