Discover the Basics of Physics with Layman-Friendly Books and Papers

In summary: It covers everything from atoms and basic laws of physics to quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. It is a great starting point for anyone interested in physics. In summary, if you are a layman looking to understand physics, there are several books that can provide a basic understanding of important principles, laws, and theories. Some recommended options include "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov, "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat" and "Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality" by John Gribben, and "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman. It is recommended to start with classical physics before diving into quantum mechanics.
wasteofo2
Physics books/papers for the layman.

I'm pretty much a laymen when it comes to physics, I really only joined this forum to get a few specific questions answered but now my curiosity about physics in general has been piqued, but I find that I can't understand most anything that's discussed regarding physics. So are there any basic books to read to provide basic understandings and provide outlines of important principles/properties/laws/theories?

I'm a sophmore in high school, and in my school district the progression is:
Freshman - Geology
Sophmore - Biology
Junior - Chemistry
Senior - Physics
So I have very little knowledge of anything

Areas I'm particularly interested in:
- Electricity
- General Quantum physics (a sort of introduction)
- A good biography on Newton containing lots of information about his works.
- A simmilar biography of Tesla

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me that at your level, the science works by Isaac Asimov might be appropriate. Asimov has a way of explaining things that makes them understandable. He has a book called Understanding Physics that pretty much covers everyting. He's written on the Atom and various topics of astronomy. He's got lots of books that are collections of short essays on various topics of science. Note that I'm talking about his science books, not his works of science fiction.

I'd hold off on the quantum physics until you feel comfortable with classical physics. It's easy to get carried away with the peculularities of QM without being able to appreciate how much of it is necessary or why it's surprising.

Good luck.

Edit: Fixed a bracket.
Integral

Last edited by a moderator:
Isaac Asimov is excellent. I've read "Understanding Physics" and learned much from it. I believe he wrote more about science than science fiction.

'In Search of Schrödinger's Cat' and 'Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality' by John Gribben are good introductions to Quantum Mechanics. It's been awhile since I've read anything on Quantum Mechanics so someone might be able to recommend more current texts.

I agree with bob314159; you should study classical physics to start but I don't see any real harm in reading an introductory text on QM.

Last edited:
6 Easy Pieces

Richard Feynman was a good start for me. His "Six Easy Pieces" book is a great start for beginners.

Six Easy Pieces: The Essentials of Physics. This book by Richard Feynman is great for the beginner who wants to know the basics of what physics is all about.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world and how they can be used to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us to understand the world around us and how it works. It has led to numerous technological advancements and has practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and astronomy. Additionally, studying physics can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are some basic principles of physics?

Some basic principles of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the conservation of energy, and the theory of relativity. These principles help to explain the behavior of objects and systems in motion, the transfer and transformation of energy, and the relationship between space and time.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the belief that it is too difficult to understand, that it is only relevant to scientists, and that it only deals with theoretical concepts. In reality, physics is a complex but fascinating subject that can be understood by anyone and has practical applications in our daily lives.

5. How can I learn more about physics as a layman?

There are many resources available for those interested in learning more about physics as a layman. You can start by reading popular science books, watching documentaries, or attending public lectures. There are also online courses and educational websites that offer simplified explanations of physics concepts. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out opportunities to engage with the subject.