Evaluate |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the polynomial $x^3-2011x+k$ has three integer roots $p, q, r$ and the question asks to evaluate the sum of their absolute values, which is $|p|+|q|+|r|$. After some calculations and guesswork, the solution is $p=10$, $q=39$, $r=-49$, and $k=-19,110$. The participant Opalg provided the correct solution, while others showed their concern for the participant's illness.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
For some integer $k$, the polynomial $x^3-2011x+k$ has three integer roots $p, q, r$. Evaluate $ |p|+|q|+|r|$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Find |p|+|q|+|r|

anemone said:
For some integer $k$, the polynomial $x^3-2011x+k$ has three integer roots $p, q, r$. Evaluate $ |p|+|q|+|r|$.

Hello.

I do not know if I have interpreted the question well.

[tex](x-p)(x-q)(x-r)=0[/tex]

[tex]x^3-(p+q+r)x^2+(pq-pr-qr)x-pqr=0[/tex]

[tex]-k=pqr[/tex]

[tex]pq-pr-qr=2011[/tex]

[tex]p+q+r=0[/tex]

Regards.

The question asks about sum of absolute values.

mente oscura said:
Hello.

I do not know if I have interpreted the question well.

[tex]p+q+r=0[/tex]

Regards.

I am sorry, mente oscura because that isn't the correct answer.

[sp]The relations between the roots are $p+q+r=0$ and $pq+pr+qr= -2011$. Writing $r=-(p+q)$ in the second one, we get $pq - (p+q)^2 = -2011$, or p^2-pq+q^2 = 2011. Multiply by $4$ and complete the square: $(2p-q)^2 + 3q^2 = 8044$. A bit of calculation and guesswork leads to the conclusion that $p$ and $q$ must both be odd numbers ending in $1$ or $9$. Then a few minutes with a calculator comes up with the solution $p=49$, $q=39$. Then $r = -88$, and $|p|+|q|+|r| = 176.$[/sp]

@Opalg, $(p, q, r) = (49, 39, -88)$ does not seem to yield a $k$ such that the cubic is separable over $\mathbb{Z}[x]$, let alone being each of $p, q$ and $r$ a root.

mathbalarka said:
@Opalg, $(p, q, r) = (49, 39, -88)$ does not seem to yield a $k$ such that the cubic is separable over $\mathbb{Z}[x]$, let alone being each of $p, q$ and $r$ a root.
(Doh) Yes, I got a sign wrong (you can probably see where).

[sp]It should have been $(2p+q)^2 + 3q^2 = 8044$, and the result of that is $p=10$, $q=39$, and therefore $r=-49$, so that $|p| + |q| + |r| = 98$. The value of $k$ is then $-pqr = 19\,110$. Better?[/sp]

Yep, definitely correct; at least that's what I got.

Hey MHB,

I will reply to this thread after I gained much more energy, because now I am very sick and ill with symptoms including stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.

Sorry guys!

I am very sorry to hear that, hope you get better soon. :(

anemone said:
Hey MHB,

I will reply to this thread after I gained much more energy, because now I am very sick and ill with symptoms including stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.
Sorry you're not well. I hope you recover in time for Christmas.

Opalg said:

A little birdie told me she has seen her doctor, taken some prescribed medicine, and is feeling much better now. (Clapping)

Well, that's good news!

MarkFL said:
A little birdie told me ...

I am not quite convinced that some "little birdie" told you that much (Nerd)

anemone said:
Hey MHB,

Sorry guys!
sorry to hear it
take care of yourself please ,and hope you will get better soon

Opalg said:
(Doh) Yes, I got a sign wrong (you can probably see where).

[sp]It should have been $(2p+q)^2 + 3q^2 = 8044$, and the result of that is $p=10$, $q=39$, and therefore $r=-49$, so that $|p| + |q| + |r| = 98$. The value of $k$ is then $-pqr = 19\,110$. Better?[/sp]

Thank you so much Opalg for participating, yes, your second attempt is correct, well done, Opalg!:)

I'd like to share with you the solution suggested by other:
With Vieta's formula we have $p+q+r=0$ and $pq+qr+pr=-2011$.

$p,q,r \ne 0$ since anyone being zero will make the other $2\pm\sqrt{2011}$.

$\therefore a=-(b+c)$

WLOG, let $|p|\ge |q|\ge |r|$.

If $p>0$, then $q,r<0$ and if $p<0$, then $q,r>0$.

$pq+qr+pr=-2011=p(q+r)+qr=-p^2+qr$

$p^2=2011+qr$

We know that $q, r$ have the same sign. So $|p|\ge 45$. ($44^2<2011$ and $45^2=2025$)

Also, $qr$ maximize when $q=r$ if we fixed $p$. Hence, $2011=p^2-qr>\dfrac{3p^2}{4}$.

So $p^2<\dfrac{4(2011)}{3}=2681+\dfrac{1}{3}$ but $52^2=2704$ so we have $|p|\ge 51$

Now we have limited $p$ to $45 \le |p| \le 51$.

A little calculation leads us to the case where $|p|=49$, $|q|=39$ and $|r|=10$ works. Hence $|p|+|q|+|r|=98$.
mathbalarka said:
I am very sorry to hear that, hope you get better soon. :(

Opalg said:

Albert said:
sorry to hear it
take care of yourself please ,and hope you will get better soon

Thank you so much for yours concern, as Mark has already mentioned, I felt much better after taking the medicines, but I am not feeling completely okay yet, because I vomited last midnight but I am positively that I will be okay after finishing all of the prescribed medicines.:)

Related to Evaluate |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$

1. What is the purpose of evaluating |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$?

The purpose of evaluating |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$ is to determine the absolute value of the coefficients p, q, and r in the polynomial equation $x^3-2011x+k$. This can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of the polynomial, such as its roots, turning points, and overall shape.

2. How do you evaluate |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$?

To evaluate |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$, we first need to identify the values of p, q, and r. These values can be found by looking at the coefficients of x in the polynomial equation. Once we have identified the values, we simply take the absolute value of each one and add them together to get the final result.

3. What does the value of |p|+|q|+|r| represent in the context of $x^3-2011x+k$?

The value of |p|+|q|+|r| represents the sum of the absolute values of the coefficients in the polynomial equation $x^3-2011x+k$. This value can give us insights into the behavior of the polynomial, such as the number of real roots, the number of turning points, and the overall shape of the graph.

4. Can the value of |p|+|q|+|r| be negative?

No, the value of |p|+|q|+|r| cannot be negative. The absolute value of a number is always positive, so the sum of the absolute values of any numbers will also be positive.

5. How does the value of k affect the evaluation of |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$?

The value of k does not affect the evaluation of |p|+|q|+|r| for $x^3-2011x+k$. This is because k is not part of the coefficients of the polynomial and therefore does not impact the sum of the absolute values of p, q, and r. However, k does have an effect on the overall behavior of the polynomial, such as shifting the graph up or down.