Electric current/kWh

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the first question involves calculating the cost of energy per kWh for a 9V battery that runs a portable CD player for 6 hours at 25mA. The second question involves finding the cost contribution of running an AC unit for 2 hours a day at 5kW and a series connection of ten 60W lightbulbs for 5 hours a day, given that electricity costs $8.0 per kWh. The steps for solving these problems are outlined but it is up to the individual to do the calculations correctly.
Dx
I have two questions that i need help with, please?

1) A 9V battery costs $1.49 and will run a portable CD player for 6 hours. Suppose the battery supplies a current of 25mA to the player. What is the cost of energy in dollars per kWh?

I started out using ohms law but am lost for there. How do i set up this for a formula i can solve for dollars per kWh?

2) The monthly(30days) electric bill included the cost of running a AC unit for 2hr/day at 5000W, and a series connection of ten 60W lightbulbs for 5hr/day. How much did these items contribute to the cost of the monthly electric bill if electricity costs 8.0 per kWh?

1st i added the ten 60W = 600W. Next, i took (2hr/d)*(30d) = 60h. Also took (5hr/d)*(30d)=150h, i added 5KW + 600W = 5.6KW for total wattage. I plugged in a formula like so (5.6k)*(2.1k)* ?

How do i find the daily cost of electricity, my answer is 2.86x10^-1, i got that from (8/kWh) / 4weeks = ans. Then ans / 7 days = 2.86 x 10^-1

But i am not right, what am i doing wrong, can you help me solve this please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dx
I have two questions that i need help with, please?

1) A 9V battery costs $1.49 and will run a portable CD player for 6 hours. Suppose the battery supplies a current of 25mA to the player. What is the cost of energy in dollars per kWh?

I started out using ohms law but am lost for there. How do i set up this for a formula i can solve for dollars per kWh?

This problem is pretty easy, so I don't want to give too much away. Here are the overall steps:

1. Calculate the power delivered to the CD player. You have all the info for that.
2. Calculate the total energy delivered to the CD player. You were given one piece of info for that, and you will calculate the other piece in Step 1.
3. Calculate the cost for that energy. You were given one piece of info for that, and you will calculate the other piece in Step 2.

Give it a shot.

2) The monthly(30days) electric bill included the cost of running a AC unit for 2hr/day at 5000W, and a series connection of ten 60W lightbulbs for 5hr/day. How much did these items contribute to the cost of the monthly electric bill if electricity costs 8.0 per kWh?

1st i added the ten 60W=6KW.

I assume you meant to say 60W+6kW. That's fine, just don't forget to convert kW-->103W.

Next, i took (2hr/d)*(30d) = 60h. Also took (5hr/d)*(30d)=1.5Kh,

You made a mistake. 1.5Kh=1500h, which is wrong.

I am having trouble following you from here. Please correct the above mistake, check your math carefully, and come back if you need more help.

1) To calculate the cost of energy in dollars per kWh, we can use the formula: Cost = Power x Time x Cost per unit. In this case, the power is 25mA (0.025A), the time is 6 hours, and the cost per unit is $1.49. So, the cost of energy for the battery is: Cost = 0.025A x 6h x $1.49 = $0.2245.

To find the cost per kWh, we need to convert the units to kW and hours. 1 kWh is equal to 1000 watts for 1 hour. So, we can divide the cost by the number of watts (25mA or 0.025A) and multiply it by 1000 to get the cost per kWh.

Cost per kWh = ($0.2245 / 0.025A) x 1000 = $8.98.

Therefore, the cost of energy for the battery is $8.98 per kWh.

2) To find the daily cost of electricity, we can use the formula: Cost = Power x Time x Cost per unit. In this case, the power is 5.6kW, the time is 7 hours (2 hours for AC and 5 hours for lightbulbs), and the cost per unit is $8.0 per kWh. So, the cost of electricity for one day is: Cost = 5.6kW x 7h x $8.0/kWh = $392.

To find the monthly cost, we can multiply the daily cost by the number of days in a month (30 days).

Monthly cost = $392 x 30 days = $11,760.

Therefore, the items contributed $11,760 to the monthly electric bill.

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is essential for the functioning of many electrical devices.

2. How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using an ammeter, which is placed in the circuit to measure the flow of charge. The unit of measurement for electric current is amperes (A).

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are different types of electric current. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in one direction. AC is used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

4. What is kWh (kilowatt-hour) and how is it related to electric current?

kWh (kilowatt-hour) is a unit of energy commonly used to measure electricity consumption. It is equal to the amount of energy used by a 1,000-watt appliance running for one hour. The amount of kWh used is directly related to the electric current flowing through a device.

5. How does electric current affect the cost of my electricity bill?

Electricity companies charge for the amount of energy used, which is measured in kWh. The higher the electric current flowing through a device, the more energy is being used and the higher the cost on your electricity bill will be.