Wave Physics: Understanding Harmonics for Communication Technology

• Thread starter Rockazella
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, harmonics are multiples of a given frequency and are present in both sound and electric waves. They have been studied since ancient times and are essential in understanding the variation between musical instruments. Harmonics can be used in communication technology for frequency multiplication, but are generally unwanted and efforts are made to filter them out. However, harmonics can also be used to produce desired results. The Fourier Expansion allows any periodic waveform to be expressed as a sum of harmonic sine waves, and high frequency content is critical in forming accurate square waves in computer systems. In communications, harmonics can appear as noise and make it difficult to filter out as the underlying signal may contain important content at that frequency. The superposition principle helps explain how our ears are able
Rockazella
I've read the definition before, but I didnt really get the significance of a harmonic. I would like to know how they are used in communication technology. Anyone know wave physics well and wouldn't mind helping me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Harmonics

are just multiples of a given frequency. Just like 440, 880, 1320, 1760. At least that is the usual definition. The same for both sound and electric waves.

And the notion of a harmonic goes back to the ancient Greeks such as Plato and Pythagorus.

You can learn a lot about harmonics under Fourier Series.

with regard to communications

Harmonics are generally unwelcome and efforts are made to filter them out.

Originally posted by Rockazella
I've read the definition before, but I didnt really get the significance of a harmonic. I would like to know how they are used in communication technology. Anyone know wave physics well and wouldn't mind helping me out?

Harmonics are the essence of the variation between of musical instruments. What is the difference between the sound of a middle C played on a piano as compared to a flute; or a guitar compared to a tuba, or to a human voice, or to a bird? To a large degree the answer is harmonics. Each instrument can produce a middle C, but each produces its own unique set of harmonics that create the characteristic sound.

Edit: just as an analog for understanding. Of course with communications, harmonics are generally bad. Note however that harmonics can be used to produce desired results also. For example, I can build an oscillator circuit tuned to the 5th harmonic of a switching device; this can effectively yield an oscillator with a frequency 5 times greater than the switching device. Also, in large industrial applications, power networks are tuned so that the harmonics between two large inductive loads will cancel.

Last edited:
I've read the definition before, but I didnt really get the significance of a harmonic. I
would like to know how they are used in communication technology.

With the help of harmonics you could do a frequency multiplier. You take a signal at n Hz, pass it through a non-linear device (...a diode) and the resulting signal has a lot of harmonics. Then filter only the one you need (let's say the one at 3n Hz). And you have a multiplier by 3...

Guybrush
what do you mean by a non-linear device? You say a diode is an example, but what makes it that?

For example the resistor is a linear electronic device. If you make a plot that represents the current through the resistor vs. the voltage drop you get a line. This is the Ohm's law u = Ri .
If you make the same plot for a diode (called diode's characteristic) you don't get a line (look at http://www.americanmicrosemi.com/tutorials/diode.htm or this ). That's because the relation between u and i is no longer linear for the diode. Of course for some applications you can approximate the diode's characteristic as linear by working in a certain range of i, but that is not the case for the frequency multiplier.

A diode would clip an alternating signal... why would a diode set up harmonics?

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
A diode would clip an alternating signal... why would a diode set up harmonics?

If you do a Fourier transform on the clipped signal, you'll get a lot of harmonics...
(http://www4.ncsu.edu/~mowat/H&M_WebSite/FFT/fft.html)
Basically any periodic signal that is not a sine wave is a sum of a fundamental sine wave an harmonics of the fundamental.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that's a neat page!

Harmonics are the essence of the variation between of musical instruments. What is the difference between the sound of a middle C played on a piano as compared to a flute; or a guitar compared to a tuba, or to a human voice, or to a bird? To a large degree the answer is harmonics. Each instrument can produce a middle C, but each produces its own unique set of harmonics that create the characteristic sound.

How can one instrument at a given time produce a 'set' of frequencies, or harmonics?
molecules can't vibrate at more than one frequency at a given time, right?

Lets summarize what has been said so far.

If we have some pure sine wave of frequency K it has harmonics with frequency nK, for example if K=100Hz its second harmonic is n=2 so 2K= 200Hz.. Here K is the FUNDAMENTAL each multiple is a harmonic of that wave.

It is interesting that ANY periodic waveform can be expressed as a sum of harmonic sine waves. This is called the Fourier Expansion. For example

f(x) = 4(Σ Sin(nπx/L)/n)/π
Where the sum is over all ODD integers.
http://home.attbi.com/~rossgr1/Fourier1.PDF [Broken]
Is a graph of the fundamental, the 3rd harmonic and their sum.

http://home.attbi.com/~rossgr1/Fourier2.pdf [Broken]

http://home.attbi.com/~rossgr1/Fourier3.pdf [Broken]

This shows that high frequency content is critical to form a good square wave. If your computer does not maintain this content the square waves that are essential to the operation of your system will degrade. Computer engineers must be aware of this in order to design a successfull computer.

In communications, harmoincs are generally undesirable, they can appear as noise at some stage of amplifiction. It can be very difficult to filter out such noise as frequently your underlying signal may contain meaningful content at that frequency. This is the difficulty of audio circiutry, to accuratly reproduce and maintain fidelity of the original signal, any device that creates a sharp change in the signal (non linear) will produce high frequency harmonics. As again you must have high frequency components to create a corner.

Now as a final thought, consider your eardrum. How are you able to discern discrete instruments, or voices when it is a single small disk of tissue which is creating all the vibrations.

This question has the same answer as your question, and is related to Fourier analysis and something called the superpostion principle. (do a web search on that to see what turns up)

Last edited by a moderator:
How can one instrument at a given time produce a 'set' of frequencies, or harmonics?
molecules can't vibrate at more than one frequency at a given time, right?

the four strings of mourning

1. What is a wave in physics?

A wave in physics is a disturbance that travels through a medium. It can be described as the oscillation or vibration of particles in the medium, which carries energy from one place to another without permanently displacing the particles themselves.

2. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in wave physics?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional in wave physics. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave/frequency.

3. How are harmonics used in communication technology?

Harmonics are used in communication technology to transmit and receive signals. Harmonics allow for the modulation and demodulation of signals, which is necessary for encoding and decoding information. They also allow for multiple signals to be transmitted simultaneously without interfering with each other.

4. What is the difference between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave?

A transverse wave is a wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion. An example of this is a water wave. In contrast, a longitudinal wave is a wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's motion. An example of this is a sound wave.

5. How do harmonics affect the quality of sound in music?

Harmonics play a crucial role in creating the unique sound of different musical instruments. The specific harmonics present in a sound wave determine its timbre, or quality of sound. By manipulating the harmonics present in a sound wave, musicians and sound engineers can create a variety of tones and textures in music.