Why are Dutch tomatoes being imported to America?

• Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of imported produce, specifically Dutch tomatoes, and its impact on American farmers. Some argue that supporting local farmers is important, while others prioritize buying the best quality produce regardless of its origin. There is also a mention of agricultural subsidies and trade barriers between the US and the European Union. One person takes a nationalistic approach and supports buying from local Wisconsin farms.
N_Quire
Dutch tomatoes ... rant

There I was at the Farmer's Market in need of good ingredients for a salad. I found the scallions, fresh cilantro, a couple of jalapenos, then I spotted some deep red tomatoes on the vine. They smelled so good, looked so good.

I get home, set about chopping, imagining the tomatoes are from California or Florida or maybe even local Tennessee ones. Then I see the label, the tomatoes are Dutch. What are we doing importing tomatoes from Holland? Can't we grow tasty tomatoes in America? How much does it cost to send a box of tomatoes from Rotterdam to Tennessee? Too much, I bet.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am glad you brought this up actually...

many american farmers are being put out of work because of imported agriculture...i work closely with apple and plant packers here in the northwest, and the produce being shipped from south america and china is putting these farmers out of work...

we need to support the american farmer and buy produce grown in the united states, the label on the fruit/vegetable should say where it is grown...

It's weird, but imported food is generally a lot cheaper than its equivalent domestically-grown counterpart. Agriculture is one of the few areas where the US still gives out large subsidies and maintains major trade barriers.

I'm a supporter of free markets and foreign access to the American market. But the European Union, of which Holland is a member, has a highly subsidized agricultural sector. I don't know whether this applies to Duth tomatoes, perhaps Monique knows.

If the Dutch tomato sector is state-subsidized then it's hardly free trade to let them compete with American tomatoes unless they are equally subsidized.

I don't buy American simply to be patriotic or to support farmers here. If I think Chilean apples are better than Washington ones, that's what I'll buy. It just seems odd that Dutch tomatoes can be cheaper than American ones. What's going on?

You have to look at the season when they are produce. When are tomatoes produc in the US and when is it holland. Let assume that rigth now the U.S. is only green house tomatoes whereas in Holland it is the peak season for tomatoes. This would explain why U.S. tomatoes are more expensive.

Anyway US subsidized its agriculture as much as the European union and I think Holland is one the country that get few subsidis v.s. France and Germany. France and Germany get heavy subsidis form E.U.

Th european union sucks, because of all the cheap fruit and vegatables from the EU many british farmers have been put out of business because they can't compete with the prices that the european farms charge.

I take this concept of nationalism one step further.

Fvck California. Fvck Idaho. Fvck Nebraska.

I buy all my produce from Wisconsin farms.

eNtRopY

1. What makes Dutch tomatoes different from other types of tomatoes?

Dutch tomatoes are known for their unique flavor, which is a result of the country's climate and soil composition. The Netherlands has a cool and humid climate, which is ideal for growing tomatoes. Additionally, Dutch farmers use advanced techniques and technology to produce high-quality, disease-resistant tomatoes.

2. Are Dutch tomatoes organic?

While not all Dutch tomatoes are organic, the Netherlands is a leader in sustainable and eco-friendly agriculture practices. Many Dutch tomato farms use natural methods to control pests and diseases, and some even have organic certification.

3. Are Dutch tomatoes genetically modified?

No, Dutch tomatoes are not genetically modified. The Netherlands has strict regulations on genetically modified crops, and the production of genetically modified tomatoes is not allowed.

4. How are Dutch tomatoes grown and harvested?

Dutch tomatoes are typically grown in large greenhouses, also known as glasshouses. These greenhouses are equipped with advanced technology such as climate control, irrigation systems, and artificial lighting to optimize growing conditions. The tomatoes are harvested when they are fully ripe and are picked by hand.

5. Can I find Dutch tomatoes in my local grocery store?

Yes, Dutch tomatoes are exported to many countries around the world, including the United States. They can often be found in supermarkets and specialty stores. Look for the label "Grown in the Netherlands" or "Holland" to ensure you are purchasing authentic Dutch tomatoes.