Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Number Theory Euler's Totient function

mathworker

May 31, 2013
if \(\displaystyle \varphi(a)=x\) and $\varphi(b)=y$ are two numbers such that \(\displaystyle \text{gcd}(x,y)=1\) can we find $a$,$b$ such that \(\displaystyle \text{gcd}(a,b)=1\).
Where $\varphi()$ is Euler's totient function

Last edited:

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
[JUSTIFY]Such $x$ and $y$ do not exist. Totients - except the trivial case of $\varphi{(2)}$ - are even. Hence $\gcd{(x, y)} \geq 2$. So, logically, the answer is, vacuously, "yes", but is probably not what you are looking for. Remember - falsity implies anything ;)

PS: I assume you meant $\varphi{(b)} = y$.[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited:

mathworker

May 31, 2013
Yeah,it seams to be correct,but why are they always even?

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah,it seams to be correct,but why are they always even?
Dismiss the trivial case $\varphi{(2)} = 1$. Now consider two cases:

1. $n > 2$ is a power of two - what does its totient look like?

2. $n > 2$ is not a power of two (and hence, has at least one odd prime factor). The totient function is multiplicative - what does this imply?

Hint for the second part: if $p$ is an odd prime, then $\varphi{(p)} = p - 1$ which is even.

mathworker

May 31, 2013
Got it!! Thank you:cool:

PaulRS

Jan 26, 2012
Dismiss the trivial case $\varphi{(2)} = 1$. Now consider two cases:

1. $n > 2$ is a power of two - what does its totient look like?

2. $n > 2$ is not a power of two (and hence, has at least one odd prime factor). The totient function is multiplicative - what does this imply?

Hint for the second part: if $p$ is an odd prime, then $\varphi{(p)} = p - 1$ which is even.
Another approach:

If $n>2$ , then the elements in $\{1,\ldots,n\}$ which are coprime to $n$ come in pairs of distincts elements $\{x,n-x\}$ where $x \leq n / 2$ and $x$ is coprime to $n$. This follows from the fact that $x$ is coprime to $n$ if and only if so is $n-x$.

Note that $x \leq n-x$ and so we don't repeat pairs. The case $x=n-x$ (in which the supposed pair would have only one element) can't happen since else $2x = n$ and so $x=1$ since $x$ was coprime to $n$, implying $n=2$, which we know is not the case.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Such $x$ and $y$ do not exist.
Erm... either x or y must be 1, so they do exist?
Both leading to a unambiguous "yes" as you explained?

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Erm... either x or y must be 1, so they do exist?
Both leading to a unambiguous "yes" as you explained?
[JUSTIFY]Sorry, your reply notification must have fallen between the cracks.. I am ignoring the trivial case of $x = 1$ or $y = 1$ here. It is not particularly interesting since the conclusion that $\gcd{(a, b)} = 1$ (or $2$) trivially follows.

What I meant is that because the initial assumption that there exists such a (non-trivial) $(a, b)$ pair is incorrect, then the implication that $\gcd{(a, b)} = 1$ is logically true (but not in a useful way). This is the same as saying "if I am a girl, then I have a million dollars" is tautologically true, because I am not a girl, yet it doesn't say anything useful about how much money I have, since the statement does not apply.

See the implication truth table:

$$\begin{array}{|c|c|c|}
\hline \\
P & Q & P \implies Q \\
\hline \\
T & T & T \\
T & F & F \\
F & T & T \\
F & F & T \\
\hline
\end{array}$$

And so $\neg P \implies (P \implies Q)$. In other words, the following is actually true:

$$\exists a > 2, b > 2 ~ \text{st} ~ \gcd{(\varphi{(a)}, \varphi{(b)})} = 1 ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ \gcd{(a, b)} = 1$$

It wasn't really meant to be taken seriously. For all intents and purposes the real answer is "it doesn't matter because the statement can never apply except in the trivial case that $x = 1$ or $y = 1$."[/JUSTIFY]

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Sorry for being difficult about this, but it seems to me that you're not supposed to choose to ignore a solution, just because you consider it a trivial one.

Anyway, how do you know you're not a girl? Do you have proof? ;)