Build Cyclotron: Find 12" Neodymium Disc Magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a magnet to use in building a small cyclotron. The poster is specifically looking for a neodymium disc magnet that can be cut in half to act as the two 'D' magnets in the cyclotron, but is having trouble finding one that is 12" in diameter. Some advice is given to either use two smaller magnets or make one large magnet using multiple smaller ones. There is also discussion about using a high-voltage linear accelerator instead and the need for electromagnets instead of permanent magnets in a cyclotron.
The_Brain
I'm trying to build a small cyclotron and am thus searching for a magnet. I've been looking for a neodythium disc magnet that I could have cut in half to act as the two 'D' magnets in the cyclotron. The size of the magnet needs be somewhere around 12" in diameter but I can't seem to find anyplace that sells them around this size. If anyone knows where I could find some magnets or is willing to sell some of their own that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of advices.

1.Don't try to cut neodym alloy - you won't be able to do that at home (it is very and very hard alloy). Ferrite is a little better, but too brittle. So, just get 2 magnets instead.

2. If you can't find two large magnets (equipment surplus web places can be a good place to start a search - Ti ion vacuum pumps have quite big slabs of ferrite magnets), then buy many small magnets and make a big one.

Last edited by a moderator:
why don't you start with a high-voltage linear accelerator and see how that goes first? you just need a very strong tube, a pump, and a voltage difference from either transformer or van de graff generator.

The dees will need to be electromagnets, not permanent magnets.

- Warren

That's true, they will. And you might want to consult relavant physics textbook for equations and etc.

Thanks for all of the responses. First off, I've already built a linear accelerater using my own voltage multiplier I made, a pump, etc. I also know all the equations for figuring out the frequency I need to alternate the current, what the velocity of the particle given a certain strength of a magnetic field is and the length of path taken, etc.

When I first started thinking about this, I too thought I needed elctromagnets but then my high school physics teacher told me I needed permanent magnets. Thus, I was hoping to find a strong neomydium magnet disc that I could have someone professionally cut into two parts so I could have my two dee magnets. I guess now I need to search out for electromagnets, so if anyone knows where some are, that would be great!

Originally posted by chroot
The dees will need to be electromagnets, not permanent magnets.

- Warren

That is for synchrotron. For cyclotron an orbit just gets bigger and bigger with velocity.

Originally posted by Alexander
That is for synchrotron, not cyclotron.

For cyclotron an orbit just gets bigger and bigger with velocity.

Originally posted by Alexander
That is for synchrotron. For cyclotron an orbit just gets bigger and bigger with velocity.
Er, uh...

You'll still need a strong permanent magnet to curve the paths of the particles (ions, electrons, etc.) in a cyclotron.

However, the poster was asking about the DEES -- which are, of course, not permanent magnets. They are, in fact, not magnets at all. The dees are two halves of a hollow metal disc, to which an oscillating electric potential is applied.

- Warren

If only I would have read this a few hours before. I just tossed a huge electromagnet.

JMD

1. How can I build a cyclotron to find a 12" neodymium disc magnet?

Building a cyclotron can be a complex process that requires knowledge of physics and engineering. It involves creating a circular particle accelerator that uses magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles. To build one specifically for finding a 12" neodymium disc magnet, you will need to follow specific design plans and have access to specialized equipment and materials.

2. What materials do I need to build a cyclotron?

The materials needed to build a cyclotron include strong magnets, copper wire, vacuum pumps, and a particle source (such as a radioactive isotope). You will also need specialized tools like a vacuum chamber, a power supply, and a vacuum gauge. It is important to follow a detailed design plan to ensure all materials are suitable for the specific cyclotron you are building.

3. Do I need to have a background in physics to build a cyclotron?

Building a cyclotron requires a strong understanding of physics, specifically electromagnetism and particle accelerators. It is not recommended for those without a background in these areas as it can be a dangerous and complex process. It is best to consult with a professional or someone with experience in building cyclotrons.

4. Can I use a cyclotron for other purposes besides finding a 12" neodymium disc magnet?

Yes, cyclotrons have a variety of uses in research and medicine. They are commonly used to produce medical isotopes for radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging. They can also be used for particle physics research and to produce neutron beams for materials testing. However, the specific design and construction of a cyclotron may vary depending on its intended use.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a cyclotron?

Yes, building a cyclotron can be a hazardous process and safety precautions should be taken. This includes following all instructions carefully, wearing appropriate protective gear, and having a thorough understanding of the potential dangers involved. It is also important to have proper ventilation and to work in a designated area to prevent contamination or exposure to hazardous materials.