Euler's Method and Planetary Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses using Newton's Laws and Euler's Method to model the motion of a planet around a star. It goes on to combine the Second Law and Law of Universal Gravitation, and rewrite it as a system of coupled first order differential equations. However, there is some uncertainty about whether the results are correct due to the omission of centripetal acceleration.
antintheagora

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I wish to use Newton's Laws in conjunction with Euler's Method to model the motion of a planet around a star.

Homework Equations

2nd Law
F = m*a

Law of Universal Gravitation
F = -G*M1*M2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First I combined the two laws above.

m*a = -G*M1*M2/r^2

Where M1 cancels out.

a = -G*m/r^2

Rewriting a as the second derivative of position gives:

d^2r/dt^2 = -G*m/r^2

Euler's method is incompatible with a second order differential equation, so I tried to write it as a system of coupled first order differential equations.

dr/dt = v

and

dv/dt = -G*m/r^2I guess this is where I'm a little stuck. Does everything appear correct so far? I tried Euler's method on these two but I think my results were incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :oldcool:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
antintheagora said:
d^2r/dt^2 = -G*m/r^2
you've omitted centripetal acceleration.

Related to Euler's Method and Planetary Motion

What is Euler's Method and how is it related to planetary motion?

Euler's Method is a numerical method used to approximate the solutions of differential equations. It was developed by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. In the context of planetary motion, it is used to approximate the positions of planets over time by solving the differential equations that describe their motion.

What are the assumptions made in Euler's Method for planetary motion?

Euler's Method assumes that the motion of planets is governed by Newton's laws of motion and the law of gravitation. It also assumes that the planets and their orbits are in a vacuum, and that the planets are point masses with no size or shape.

How accurate is Euler's Method in predicting planetary motion?

Euler's Method is an approximate method, so the accuracy of its predictions depends on the size of the time step used in the calculations. With smaller time steps, the approximation becomes more accurate. However, due to the simplifying assumptions made, it may not be as accurate as other numerical methods.

What are the limitations of Euler's Method in modeling planetary motion?

Euler's Method has limitations in its ability to accurately model complex systems, such as planetary motion. This is because it relies on a linear approximation of the solution and does not take into account factors such as perturbations from other planets and the non-spherical shape of planets.

How does Euler's Method compare to other numerical methods for modeling planetary motion?

Euler's Method is a simple and intuitive method for approximating solutions to differential equations. However, it may not be as accurate as other methods such as Runge-Kutta methods or symplectic integrators, which take into account more factors and have better error control. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.