Calculating Frequency Using Doppler Effect Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Doppler effect formula to calculate the frequency of a train whistle when the train is traveling towards the listener at a given speed and the speed of sound is known. The correct formula is f'=f/(1-V_s/V_0) and the solution involves plugging in the known values and solving for f'. There is also a mention of the incorrect use of division instead of multiplication in the formula, but the mistake is clarified and corrected.
Dx
Using the doppler effect: formula: f'=f/(1-V_s/V_0)

A train traveling toward you at 120k/h. the train blows its 400Hz whistle. take the speed of sound to be 340m/s. what's the freq?

my developments so far...
400Hz/(1-(.340/.343ms)

how do i solve the setup is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dx
Using the doppler effect: formula: f'=f/(1-V_s/V_0)

A train traveling toward you at 120k/h. the train blows its 400Hz whistle. take the speed of sound to be 340m/s. what's the freq?

my developments so far...
400Hz/(1-(.340/.343ms)

how do i solve the setup is wrong?

That should be * not /

I have no idea what "how do i solve the setup is wrong?" means- unless you are combining two sentences. Are you related to James Joyce?

However, you would complete the problem by just doing the arithmetic:
From the formula f'=f/(1-V_s/V_0)
you get f'= 440HZ/(1- 210/340) assuming that V_0 is the speed of sound and that V_s is the speed of the source of the sound.
(I might have been inclined to take V_s as the speed of Sound but if V_s> V_0 you get a negative number for f'!)

(you give "400Hz/(1-(.340/.343ms)" I don't know why you have the decimal points nor do I know where you got "343".)

Notice that since V_s and V_0 both have units of speed (m/sec), the units in the fraction V_s/V_0 cancel so that both it and the denominator 1- V_s/V_0 are "dimensionless". f' will have units of
Hz just like f.

I get that V_s/V_0= 120/340= 0.353 (I am taking three significant figures since the speeds are given to three significant figures.),
1- V_s/V_0= 1- 0.353= 0.647 and f'= 440/0.647= 525 Hz.

Try Again Ivy!

<<<I have no idea what "How do i solve? The setup is wrong?" means- unless you are combining two sentences. Are you related to James Joyce? Since we want to be corect here Ivy! :wink:

<<<(you give "400Hz/(1-(.340/.343ms)" I don't know why you have the decimal points nor do I know where you got "343".)

Let me enlighten you that .343 is equal to 343x10^-3m/s which is the spd of sound in air at 20 degrees C. I want you to also be corect since you could be related to Mr Amison my Biology teacher who know absolutely nada about science too.

<<<I get that V_s/V_0= 120/340= 0.353 (I am taking three significant figures since the speeds are given to three significant figures.),
1- V_s/V_0= 1- 0.353= 0.647 and f'= 440/0.647= 525 Hz.

Lastly, H.O.I., sir. I want to say i appreciate your response and help thus far but your answer is 100% incorrect. Thank You! Please don't respond to my threads unless your serious about helping me. Your intentions are sensere and noble but i want to learn this stuff, ok!

Thanks everyone! BTW...I double checked my formula is correct in the book.
Dx :wink:

yeah, my bad..i just saw that division sign and thought that was the problem, but i guess i just learned the formula as multiplying by the reciprocal..instead of your form..

What is the Doppler effect formula?

The Doppler effect formula is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the frequency of a wave and the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It is commonly used in physics and astronomy to calculate the observed frequency of waves, such as sound or light, that are affected by the relative motion of the source and observer.

How is the Doppler effect formula used to calculate frequency?

The Doppler effect formula is used to calculate frequency by taking into account the relative motion between the source and observer. The formula is given by fobs = fs (v ± vobs) / (v ± vs), where fobs is the observed frequency, fs is the source frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vobs is the speed of the observer, and vs is the speed of the source.

What is the difference between the observed frequency and the source frequency?

The observed frequency is the frequency of the wave that is perceived by the observer, while the source frequency is the frequency of the wave emitted by the source. The difference between the two frequencies is due to the Doppler effect, which is caused by the relative motion between the source and observer.

What types of waves can be calculated using the Doppler effect formula?

The Doppler effect formula can be used to calculate the observed frequency of any type of wave that is affected by the relative motion between the source and observer. This includes sound waves, light waves, and other types of waves that can be measured in terms of frequency.

Can the Doppler effect formula be used in real-life situations?

Yes, the Doppler effect formula is commonly used in real-life situations. It is used in fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and acoustics to analyze and interpret data gathered from waves affected by the relative motion between the source and observer. It is also used in everyday applications, such as radar and sonar technology.