Understanding Dogs' Panting and the Science of Color: Exploring Questions Galore

• Thread starter Security
  • Start date
In summary: If a person breaths thirty times in a minute, what is the period in seconds and the frequency in hertz of her breaths? Show your calculations. My Answer: Each breath takes two secondsFrequency = 30/period = 30/60 = 30/60 = 2 HzPeriod = 60/frequency = 60/30 = 60/30 = 2 secondsIn summary, the conversation discusses various topics related to the respiratory system, color perception, and the properties of sound. Dogs cool their bodies by panting and have a resonance frequency of 5Hz in their respiratory system. The purpose of panting at this frequency is to cool off more efficiently. Children's spinning tops appear white because they
Security
My last exam was given to me ungraded because i think I did so poorly on it. I think i did a good job on the True or False and the Multiple Choices. I think the weak point was in the questions that involved me applying the many subjects i had to learn. but here are section 1 of the questions I "suspect" are wrong:

Dogs cool their bodies by sticking out their tongues and panting, which causes saliva in their mouth and respiratory system to evaporate. The normal breathing rate of a dog is about 30 breaths a minute. The respiratory system of a medium-sized dog has a resonance frequency of about 5Hz.

A. In breaths per minute, how fast would a dog be breathing if it were to pant at the natural resonance frequency of its respiratory system? My Answer: He would have to breath 5 breaths a second.

B. The greater the amplitude of the vibration of the respiratory system, the greater the expanstion and contraction of that system -- which means that more air enters the respiratory tract. Why do you think dogs pant at the resonant frequency of their respiratory systems? My Answer: Theyll cool off more when they go against their natural frequency.

Next two questions are on the subject of colors.

1. Childrens's tops are usually multi-colored, made of all the colors of the rainbow, yet when they spin they look white. Why?
My Answer: Because when it spins, it joins all the colors in the spectrum making a white appearance (or white light).

2. Many Churches and elegant Victorian houses have stained glass windows, made up of designs with transparent colored glass. What produces the color in the transparent glass? Why are different parts of the window different colors? My Answer:The windows are designed to absorb all the colors of white light, except for a certain color, which comes to be to the set pigment, and this goes for all the other parts of the windows.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Security
Dogs cool their bodies by sticking out their tongues and panting, which causes saliva in their mouth and respiratory system to evaporate. The normal breathing rate of a dog is about 30 breaths a minute. The respiratory system of a medium-sized dog has a resonance frequency of about 5Hz.

A. In breaths per minute, how fast would a dog be breathing if it were to pant at the natural resonance frequency of its respiratory system? My Answer: He would have to breath 5 breaths a second.
You put the wrong units.

B. The greater the amplitude of the vibration of the respiratory system, the greater the expanstion and contraction of that system -- which means that more air enters the respiratory tract. Why do you think dogs pant at the resonant frequency of their respiratory systems? My Answer: Theyll cool off more when they go against their natural frequency.
The wording of this equestion is very bad. I don't even understand exactly what it is asking.

1. Childrens's tops are usually multi-colored, made of all the colors of the rainbow, yet when they spin they look white. Why?
My Answer: Because when it spins, it joins all the colors in the spectrum making a white appearance (or white light).
pretty much

2. Many Churches and elegant Victorian houses have stained glass windows, made up of designs with transparent colored glass. What produces the color in the transparent glass? Why are different parts of the window different colors? My Answer:The windows are designed to absorb all the colors of white light, except for a certain color, which comes to be to the set pigment, and this goes for all the other parts of the windows. [/B]
That's exactly right.

1.The greater the amplitude of the vivration of the respiratory system, the greater the expansion and contraction of that system - - which means that more air enters the respiratory tract, Why do you think dogs pant at the resonant frequency of their respiratory systems?

2.Why are Polaroid sunglasses, which are good for blocking out glare, not recommended for viewing the sun during a solar eclipse? My Answer: Polaroid sunglasses only work with horizantally vibrating light, not in other directions.

3.Musicians must "warm up" their instruments before a concert. From what you've learned in this unit, do you think that air temperature affects the pitch of musical instruments? If it does, what effect does it have? Give a reason for your answer. My Answer: ? -- i put that because I only know that sound can transmit better in warm air, I know nothing about pitch.

4.If a person breaths thirty times in a minute, what is the period in seconds and the frequency in hertz of her breaths? Show your calculations. My Answer: Each breath takes two seconds

Frequency = 30/period = 30/60 = 30/60 = 2 Hz
Period = 60/frequency = 60/30 = 60/30 = 2 seconds

5.Olympic swimmers can swim at a speed of 1.7 m/s. If an olympic swimmer were swimming in the ocean on day when the wavelength of the waves was 20 m and the frequency was 1 Hz, would the swimmer be able to swim fast enough to avoid being lifted by a wave? Show your calculations. My Answer:

wave speed = frequency x wavelength
20 m/s = 1 Hz x 20 m

No he wouldn't be able to swim fast enough to avoid being lifed by the wave because the wave speed is so powerful.

6.Sound travels around 340 m/s in air. If a bat squeaks and hears the echo of its squeak return to ti 6 seconds later, how far away is the insect which the bat's squeak encountered? Show your calculations.

My Answer: 340 m/s x 6s = 2040 meters

7.Two sounds, one of 200 Hz and one of 194 Hz, occur at the same time.
What beat frequency do you hear? Show your calculations. My Answer: The two sounds would produce 6 beats a second, and it would be heard around 197Hz.

200 Hz - 194 Hz = 6 Hz

#4) You got the period right, but frequency is equal to 1/Period or whatever (in this case breaths) per second so 30/60 is right but 30/60 isn't 2 it's 1/2 same as what you would have gotten with 1/Period.

#5) I think you got that one right, but you should have just told him that they would have dove around the waves. I live 1500 miles from both the pacific and the atlantic and I know that.

#6) You needed to remember that the sound has to go there and back so it actually travels twice the distance to the object so half of your answer would have been right.

#7) You got the beat frequency of 6 Hz right.

Bored CSMPhysicist

2.Why are Polaroid sunglasses, which are good for blocking out glare, not recommended for viewing the sun during a solar eclipse? My Answer: Polaroid sunglasses only work with horizantally vibrating light, not in other directions.
Polaroid glasses mainly filter out light reflected off other surfaces. Polaroid glasses do not effectively filter direct light. Staring at the sun with polaroid glasses won't protect your eyes.

3.Musicians must "warm up" their instruments before a concert. From what you've learned in this unit, do you think that air temperature affects the pitch of musical instruments? If it does, what effect does it have? Give a reason for your answer. My Answer: ? -- i put that because I only know that sound can transmit better in warm air, I know nothing about pitch.
The pitch of sound is determined by the frequency of the sound. The speed of the sound is given by the formula V = 331 * sqrt(T/273). A general equation for all waves is V = wavelength * frequency. The wavelength of the waves coming from the instraments is determined by the tension in the strings and the length of the strings. This means that temperature only affects the frequency. Higher temperature means the instraments will generate a sound with a higher frequency (higher pitch).

4.If a person breaths thirty times in a minute, what is the period in seconds and the frequency in hertz of her breaths? Show your calculations. My Answer: Each breath takes two seconds
The unit for frequency is 1/s. That makes it easy to find how to write the equation
f = 30/60s
f = 0.5/s
f = 0.5Hz

T = 1/f
T = 1/0.5
T = 2s

5.Olympic swimmers can swim at a speed of 1.7 m/s. If an olympic swimmer were swimming in the ocean on day when the wavelength of the waves was 20 m and the frequency was 1 Hz, would the swimmer be able to swim fast enough to avoid being lifted by a wave? Show your calculations. My Answer:

wave speed = frequency x wavelength
20 m/s = 1 Hz x 20 m

No he wouldn't be able to swim fast enough to avoid being lifed by the wave because the wave speed is so powerful.
correct

6.Sound travels around 340 m/s in air. If a bat squeaks and hears the echo of its squeak return to ti 6 seconds later, how far away is the insect which the bat's squeak encountered? Show your calculations.

My Answer: 340 m/s x 6s = 2040 meters
d = vt/2
d = (340)(6)/2
d = 1020m

Still...

Still, I don't know where the '2' came from in that last question? Am I suppose to have a fore knowledge of these things?

It's divided by 2 because it goes there and back.

They assume you know that.

Physics is Nonsense to me, I looked over this section of the book THROUGHLY , and I still doesn't compute in my head. So forgive me if my questions seems very stupid. Thank You

was csmines right about the fifth question?

does this look correct?

frequency = period / 30 = 60 / 30 = 1 / .5 Hz = .5hz?

Your answer on the fifth question was correct. His answer is technically right but it's the "smart ass" answer that angers teachers. Don't ever put the smart ass answer.

Originally posted by Security
does this look correct?

frequency = period / 30 = 60 / 30 = 1 / .5 Hz = .5hz?

math errors.
First of all, 1/0.5 is 2,not 0.5

Second thing, as a general rule, you should simplify to whole numbers. For example, 60/30 should be simplified as 2/1. While 1/0.5 is technically correct, it doesn't follow the standard of expressing fractions as whole numbers over whole numbers.

Sorry about the "smart ass" answer,
after having studied physics for 6 or 7 years now I realized that you've got to have a little fun with the teachers. I apologize if my answer confused you, I did however begin my comment with the statement "I think you're right." Won't happen again.

csm

so should it be like you wrote it?:

f=30/60s
f=0.5/s
f=0.5Hz

p=1/f
p=1/0.5
p=2s

You're on the money now.

You can have fun with your teachers but don't look for loopholes on tests... My math teacher used to tell stories of this one smart ass kid who would always find a loophole on the test and assignments so he wouldn't have to think or do anything. Here are some examples:

1. With interval notation, "(" and ")" mean not inclusive. (5,9) means it is BETWEEN 5 and 9 and cannot be equal to 5 or 9. The teacher assigned some questions to be handed in and he wrote on the board the page number then he put (1,2). He meant for students to do questions 1 and 2. The smart ass student had the excuse "you had the rounded brackets and since there is no integer between 1 and 2, you assigned no homework".

2. On one particular test, there was a question about a BALL falling at some acceleration and you had to find the distance over some time for the ROCK using calculus; no equations from physics class. Everybody knew about the typo in the question and just ignored the error, but the smart ass kid put something like "the rock has no change over time because it was a ball falling, not a rock".

The teacher absolutely hated that kid.

There is certainly a difference between writing out a loop hole answer because you want to piss someone off or writing out a loop hole answer because you don't know the answer and want to laugh at your fault. I have yet to have a teacher hate me; if you are jesting in good humor I've always found that creativity is appreciated. People who are always serious and hardnosed have a tendency to burn out much faster, so have a sense of humor. Sounds like the kid you knew was thumbing his nose as opposed to trying to humor his teacher.

I understand, the last thing i want to do is act in a way that would make my teacher angry. I am desperately trying to learn and finish these questions so that i can finish high school. Because of my inability to undertand physics to the fullest, its taking me slower to finish than I had planned. So that's why I came to this Homework help forum.

can you show me how the fifth question looks like again? how does the answer make sense?

7.Two sounds, one of 200 Hz and one of 194 Hz, occur at the same time.
What beat frequency do you hear? Show your calculations. My Answer: The two sounds would produce 6 beats a second, and it would be heard around 197Hz.

200 Hz - 194 Hz = 6 Hz

does that look ok?

can any help out?

1. Why do dogs pant?

Dogs pant as a way to regulate their body temperature. Unlike humans, dogs do not have sweat glands all over their body, so panting helps them release heat and cool down.

2. Is panting normal for dogs?

Yes, panting is a normal behavior for dogs. It is a natural way for them to cool down and can also be a sign of excitement or stress.

3. What causes excessive panting in dogs?

Excessive panting in dogs can be caused by a variety of factors, including heat exhaustion, anxiety, pain, or certain medical conditions. If your dog is panting excessively, it is best to consult a veterinarian for a proper diagnosis.

4. Can the color of a dog affect their panting?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that the color of a dog affects their panting. However, certain breeds with darker fur may absorb more heat and pant more as a result.

5. How can understanding dogs' panting help us take better care of our pets?

By understanding the science behind dogs' panting, we can better recognize when our pets may be experiencing heat exhaustion, stress, or other health issues. This knowledge can help us take proactive measures to protect our pets and provide them with the care they need.