Euler's Formula Contradiction?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of Euler's formula in circuit analysis and the need to use the complex logarithm instead of the real natural logarithm when dealing with exponential functions. The general equation for this is e^±2niπ=1 and the function e^ix has periods of 2π, similar to trigonometric functions.
TheDemx27
Gold Member
I've been using euler's formula now more than I have in the past, (using it for circuit analysis stuff), and so its been floating around in my head a bit more.

Say you have [itex]e^{2πi}=1[/itex] and you take the natural log of both sides.

[itex]\log_e( e^{2πi})=\log_e(1)[/itex]
[itex]2πi=0[/itex]
uhhhhh... :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The problem is that you are using the real natural logarithm, which is the inverse of the real exponential function [itex]e^x[/itex]. You need to use the complex logarithm.

Likes TheDemx27
axmls said:
The problem is that you are using the real natural logarithm, which is the inverse of the real exponential function [itex]e^x[/itex]. You need to use the complex logarithm.
Ah, thankyou.

The general equation is ##e^{\pm 2ni\pi}=1##
The function ##e^{ix}## has periods of ##2\pi##, just as the trigonometric functions have periods of ##2\pi##
[i.e. although ##sin(2\pi)=sin(0),\ 2\pi\neq0##]

Likes dextercioby

Related to Euler's Formula Contradiction?

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, also known as Euler's identity, is a mathematical equation that relates the exponential function, imaginary numbers, and trigonometric functions. It is expressed as e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, x is the angle in radians, cos(x) is the cosine function, and sin(x) is the sine function.

2. How does Euler's formula contradict traditional mathematical rules?

Euler's formula contradicts traditional mathematical rules because it involves the use of imaginary numbers, which are not considered valid solutions in traditional mathematics. Imaginary numbers are numbers that, when squared, result in a negative number, which goes against the basic rule that every number squared equals a positive number.

3. How did Euler prove his formula?

Euler did not actually prove his formula, but he derived it using his knowledge of complex numbers and trigonometry. He also used the concept of infinite series to arrive at the formula, which is why it is sometimes referred to as Euler's identity.

4. Can Euler's formula be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, Euler's formula has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is commonly used in circuit analysis, Fourier analysis, and in solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to Euler's formula?

One limitation of Euler's formula is that it only applies to functions with complex inputs and outputs. It cannot be used to solve equations with real numbers. Additionally, it is only applicable to specific types of functions, such as exponential and trigonometric functions.