Euler's equation not making sense

In summary, the conversation discusses the complex number equation e^(i*pi) = -1 and how adding it to e^(2*i*pi) results in 0. Factoring the equation also shows that setting the second factor equal to 0 gives e^(i*pi) = -1. However, setting the first factor equal to 0 does not work and the conversation questions why it should be 0. The link provided explains potential issues with complex numbers.
fractalzen
Given: e^(i*pi) = -1 and e^(2*i*pi)=1

Adding we get: e^(i*pi) + e^(2*i*pi) = (-1+1) = 0

Factoring gives e^(i*pi) * [ 1 + e^(i*pi) ] = 0

so setting the second factor = to 0 gives 1 + e^(i*pi) = 0 which gives e^(i*pi)=-1

Okay so far, but setting the first factor = to 0 does not work.

e^(i*pi) = -1 It does not equal 0.

--------------------

So what am I missing here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Of course! Thanks for the response and the link.

Related to Euler's equation not making sense

1. Why is Euler's equation important in mathematics?

Euler's equation, also known as the "most beautiful equation in mathematics," is important because it connects three fundamental mathematical constants - e, i, and π - in a single equation. It has significant applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you explain Euler's equation to someone who is not familiar with advanced mathematics?

Euler's equation can be explained as a relationship between exponential growth, circular motion, and imaginary numbers. The left side of the equation represents exponential growth, while the right side represents circular motion. The imaginary number i acts as a bridge between these two concepts, allowing for a succinct representation of the relationship.

3. Why does Euler's equation include imaginary numbers?

Euler's equation includes imaginary numbers because they allow for the representation of circular motion in a compact and elegant way. Without imaginary numbers, the equation would be more complex and less intuitive.

4. Can you provide an example of Euler's equation in real-world applications?

One example of Euler's equation in real-world applications is in the study of electrical circuits. The equation helps in understanding the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an alternating current circuit.

5. Is Euler's equation always true, or are there exceptions?

Euler's equation is always true, as it is a mathematical identity. This means that it holds for all values of the variables involved. However, in some cases, it may not provide meaningful insights or be applicable to a specific problem, depending on the context.