Detecting radio wave intensity at a point

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring the intensity of a radio wave of a specific frequency at a point. The speaker asks for recommendations on a detector and suggests using a capacitor or a radio diode. However, it is mentioned that direct measurement may not be possible and suggests using an instrument called a Radio Frequency (RF) power meter. The speaker also suggests capturing the signal on a tuned antenna and using Fourier analysis to determine the strength of the desired frequency.
astrokreng
Hi, i was interested in a detector that could measure the intensity of a radio wave of a particular frequency, at a point. Either by using a capacitor or a radio diode (or any other way). If such a devise exists please tell me where I can find one, if not any advise on how I might be able to construct one. Thanks for any help.

Science news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me that what you want can be done as a direct measurement.

Instruments which measure RF energy are called http://www.infodotinc.com/neets/book16/67a.htm . These measure the power in a broadband. If the Frequency you want is the dominant frequency they are fine, if not, then they do not help.

What you may need to do is capture the signal present on an antenna which is tuned to the frequency you want. Then use Fourier analysis to determine the relative strength of the signal you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is radio wave intensity measured?

The intensity of radio waves is measured using an instrument called a radiometer. This instrument detects and measures the strength of radio signals at a specific point in space.

2. What units are used to measure radio wave intensity?

The most commonly used unit to measure radio wave intensity is decibel-milliwatts (dBm). This unit is a logarithmic scale that represents the power ratio of the signal to a reference level.

3. What factors affect the intensity of radio waves at a point?

The intensity of radio waves at a point can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source, obstacles in the path of the signal, and atmospheric conditions such as weather and interference from other signals.

4. How is radio wave intensity used in everyday life?

Radio wave intensity is used in a variety of applications, including communication systems, radar technology, and medical imaging. It is also used in everyday devices such as cell phones, Wi-Fi routers, and remote controls.

5. Can radio wave intensity be harmful to humans?

Radio wave intensity is generally considered to be safe for humans at the levels used in everyday devices and communication systems. However, high levels of exposure to radio waves can potentially cause health risks, and regulations are in place to ensure safe usage of these technologies.