Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation

In summary, the Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation for a function with multiple independent variables can be written as either \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}-\nabla.(\nabla_{\frac{\partial \phi}{x_i}}L)= 0 or \nabla.(\nabla_{\frac{\partial \phi}{x_i}}L) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = 0, where the gradient is in vector notation and the subscripts denote the components of the gradient. This form of the equation can be derived using the equations \nabla(\vec{F}.G)=\vec{F}.\nabla G+
WackStr
I read in hand and finch (analytical mechanics) that if you assume you have a lagrangian:

[tex]L=(\phi,\nabla\phi,x,y,z)[/tex]

Then what does the euler lagrange equation look like in vector notation. I know that if you have a function with more than 1 independent variable then the euler-lagrange equation looks like:

[tex]\frac{\delta L}{\delta\phi}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}-\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\left(\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\right)}\right)-\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\left(\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial y}\right)}\right)-\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\left(\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z}\right)}\right)=0[/tex]

How do I convert this into vector notation. The hint in the question says to use the following equations:

[tex]\nabla(\vec{F}.G)=\vec{F}.\nabla G+G\nabla.\vec{F}[/tex]
[tex]\int\int\int_V\nabla.\vec{F}\,dx\,dy\,dz=\int\int_S\vec{F}.\,d\vec{S}=0[/tex]

This equation does work but I'm not sure if this is the form of the euler lagrange equation in vector notation.

I don't know how to use them. I did get this though:

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}-\nabla.(\nabla_{\frac{\partial \phi}{x_i}}L)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
= 0Where the gradient is in vector notation and the subscripts denote the components of the gradient. The equation above is the form of the Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation. You can also express it as:\nabla.(\nabla_{\frac{\partial \phi}{x_i}}L) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = 0

Related to Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation is a mathematical equation used to find the extremal paths of a functional. It is often used in the field of physics and engineering to determine the path that a system will take in order to minimize or maximize a certain physical quantity.

How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived in vector notation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived using the calculus of variations, which involves finding the stationary points of a functional. This process involves taking the functional derivative of the Lagrangian, which is a function of the system's position, velocity, and time.

What are the applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and control theory. It is used to determine the path of least action, the path of a free particle, and the path of a particle under the influence of a force.

What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it provides a powerful tool for solving a wide range of problems in physics and engineering. It allows us to find the optimal path or trajectory for a system, and it has been used to make important discoveries in the field of physics, such as the equations of motion for celestial bodies.

What are some common misconceptions about the Euler-Lagrange equation in vector notation?

One common misconception is that the Euler-Lagrange equation only applies to classical mechanics. In reality, it can be applied to a wide range of systems and problems. Another misconception is that the Euler-Lagrange equation is only useful for finding the minimum path or trajectory. It can also be used to find the maximum path or trajectory in certain scenarios.