Eukaryotic (multicelled) cells in H2O (water)

In summary, the individual is interested in learning how to test for living or dead cells in water from home as a hobby. They inquire about the equipment needed and the cost of doing so. They also mention using a microscope, which they remember learning about as a child. The conversation also touches on books and their availability.
VikKi M
I'd like to learn how to test for these types of cells (living or dead) in water. what do I need to do this from home ? is it cheap or expensive to buy the equipment ? please provide details of the equipment needed and just a rough idea as to the cost of doing so at home. oh yeah once i buy the equipment what procedure do i follow. I want to learn how to do this from home as a hobby.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can't just get a microscope and look for them in a sample of water under a slide?

When I was a kid I remember reading pop-sci books explaining how to use a microscope to watch the poodle life. There are cheap microscopes for kids (mostly of low quality) and reasonably priced good used ones on eBay. Sorry, no idea about books, as the ones I could suggest were printed in Polish and over 40 years ago; but I am more than sure similar books exist in every country and have much more recent editions.

Borek said:
When I was a kid I remember reading pop-sci books explaining how to use a microscope to watch the poodle life.

A poodle:

210987_f520.jpg
Young scientist investigating a puddle:

courty20mud20puddle.jpg

Likes berkeman and Drakkith
I don't think I ever looked that girly but yes, that's the idea :wink:

Related to Eukaryotic (multicelled) cells in H2O (water)

What are eukaryotic (multicelled) cells?

Eukaryotic cells are cells that make up all living organisms, including plants, animals, and fungi. They are characterized by having a defined nucleus and other membrane-bound organelles.

How do eukaryotic cells differ from prokaryotic cells?

Eukaryotic cells are larger and more complex than prokaryotic cells. They also have a defined nucleus and membrane-bound organelles, while prokaryotic cells do not. Additionally, eukaryotic cells can reproduce sexually, while prokaryotic cells reproduce asexually.

Why do eukaryotic cells need water?

Water is essential for the survival of eukaryotic cells. It is a major component of the cell's cytoplasm and is involved in many cellular processes, such as metabolic reactions and transport of nutrients and waste. Water also helps maintain the cell's shape and structure.

How do eukaryotic cells interact with water?

Eukaryotic cells have a semi-permeable membrane, which allows water and other molecules to pass through. The cell also has specialized transport proteins and channels that help regulate the movement of water and other molecules into and out of the cell.

What role does water play in maintaining homeostasis in eukaryotic cells?

Water plays a crucial role in maintaining homeostasis in eukaryotic cells. It helps regulate the cell's temperature and keeps the cell hydrated, ensuring that biochemical reactions can occur at the optimal rate. Water also helps maintain the cell's internal pH and electrolyte balance, which are essential for proper cellular functioning.